dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Pinelands panel offers aid to help towns meet new zoning rules

By KIRK MOORE
TOMS RIVER BUREAU

The state Pinelands Commission will use up to $305,000 from a conservation fund to help towns implement new zoning rules that require clustering of new residential development in the Pinelands' rural development and forest areas, commission officials said Friday.

The new clustering rules require that future homes built in those areas be situated on one-acre lots, with additional acreage around the houses set aside as permanently preserved open space.

Under old rules, housing density limits in those rural areas led to single homes built on multi-acre tracts. Secluded forest homes and "farmettes" have been one outcome, but from an ecological perspective the practice led to more fragmentation and clearing of forest lands, Pinelands planners say.

They designed clustering to encourage building new homes closer to roads, minimize clearing for driveways and yards and preserve more land in its natural state. But environmental activists dislike incentives that award clustering by granting potential for extra homes while allowing farm uses to continue, said Jeff Tittel of the Sierra Club.

"People can cluster and still have the horse farm," Tittel said.

The $305,000 proposed to help 37 towns with planning costs comes from the Pinelands Conservation Fund, established in 2004 with $13 million from Atlantic City Electric as part of an agreement to allow a power transmission line through Atlantic and southern Ocean counties.

The money is coming from part of the fund designated for community planning and design, according to the commission. It will offer up to $10,000 for towns with large forest and rural development tracts and complex zoning, and up to $5,000 to towns where the clustering changeover will be simpler. Local master plans and land-use ordinances need to be aligned with the plan amendments by April 6, 2010, and the commission is providing a model ordinance for that purpose.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
"People can cluster and still have the horse farm,"

I don't get it, if you get just one acre where's the farm and who gets to say what use the open space is for?

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Ed, it's just another way of the government controlling our lives. Who knows what the government will do with the open space, it could become a playground, a ball field or just used for teens drinking there on a Friday night and no one will take responsibility for clean-up. You and I know that you can't have a horse farm on one acre. One acre is good for a home and a nice lawn, each horse needs an acre and then you need space for the barn. Vote the incumbants out of office, limit terms served and vote for people that live the way we do.

Tony

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
While some of the specifics you guys mentioned probably need some fine tuning, I at least think this is a big step in the right direction. More zoning laws need to come into place for this country to be able to support and sustain itself and our overwhelming population.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
While some of the specifics you guys mentioned probably need some fine tuning, I at least think this is a big step in the right direction. More zoning laws need to come into place for this country to be able to support and sustain itself and our overwhelming population.

Perhaps in this country, but I have to respectfully disagree with your concerning clustering in the PB. It looks like a good idea to pack more people into a smaller area to preserve open space, but that is more people depleting our already diminishing aquafer. More people means more traffic in the woods and more garbage. It will also compromise, or more likely, destroy the culture of the sparsely populated PB communities. It also means more pressure from commercial interests to capitalize on a larger population in the PB.

Guy once told me of a prediction of his that one day closely zoned suburban houses will but up against the SF boundres on all sides. Clustering will bring that grim prediction to a quick reality. No buffer between the big woods and suburbia.

A person I know who works for a BIG developer was complaining to me about the restrictions of the pinelands commission and a certain mayor that did not want his company in town. His justification for develpement of the PB was; "People have to live somewhere" , I said "that's great, how about somewhere else?"

Jeff

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Perhaps in this country, but I have to respectfully disagree with your concerning clustering in the PB. It looks like a good idea to pack more people into a smaller area to preserve open space, but that is more people depleting our already diminishing aquafer. More people means more traffic in the woods and more garbage. It will also compromise, or more likely, destroy the culture of the sparsely populated PB communities. It also means more pressure from commercial interests to capitalize on a larger population in the PB.

Guy once told me of a prediction of his that one day closely zoned suburban houses will but up against the SF boundres on all sides. Clustering will bring that grim prediction to a quick reality. No buffer between the big woods and suburbia.

A person I know who works for a BIG developer was complaining to me about the restrictions of the pinelands commission and a certain mayor that did not want his company in town. His justification for develpement of the PB was; "People have to live somewhere" , I said "that's great, how about somewhere else?"

Jeff

You know what.. I read this report either wrong, too fast, or without my coffee. I apologize. I saw it was from Toms River and thought it was refering to townships like that, not the Pinelands. I can only hope most of our area stays protected. For other townships like Toms River, where the average home is on less than an acre, something like this would be great for further development (if there was even room for it). My bad on my previous post.

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
You know what.. I read this report either wrong, too fast, or without my coffee. I apologize. I saw it was from Toms River and thought it was refering to townships like that, not the Pinelands. I can only hope most of our area stays protected. For other townships like Toms River, where the average home is on less than an acre, something like this would be great for further development (if there was even room for it). My bad on my previous post.

This is also an issue of conservation versus preservation. Is it reasonable to simply preserve everything, or find a sustainable means of doing things?

I'm glad to see steps in the direction of sustainable development, although I feel like intruding into the pines could just lead to more problems. More wants and needs of the people who immigrate, on top of the wants and needs of the people already here. Sprawling or "spidering effect"; http://www.sierraclubgreenhome.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/extearth4.bmp

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Clustering; just reminds me of a bunch of peanuts all stuck together in a big gooey mess. The more you pack together in a smaller area the more support services you'll need; schools, hospitals, police, stores, recreation(ironic isn't it), transportation, taxes. There is another name for the result of this sort of thing, cities. :argh:

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Clustering; just reminds me of a bunch of peanuts all stuck together in a big gooey mess. The more you pack together in a smaller area the more support services you'll need; schools, hospitals, police, stores, recreation(ironic isn't it), transportation, taxes. There is another name for the result of this sort of thing, cities. :argh:

right on the money!!