Piney Bridges

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
While exploring the Pines for the past 12 years, I have discovered many handmade bridges, or remnants of, that takes you across streams, tributaries, canals, and in swamps. In almost all cases, bushwhacking was required to find them. Here's 5 bridges that cross streams that are labeled on NJPB Maps.

The bridge in the first photo may no longer exist. It could have been torn apart by Hurricane Sandy. I'll have to check that one this year. The bridge in the last photo is known to some members. The last time I was there was back in March 2017. I couldn't get across as one end was in the water, if I recall. I don't know if it has been repaired.

In The Pines, Summer 2009 203.jpg

Mill 39.73343; 74.32504.JPG

Pinelands-Shreve Br. Apr 2011 046.jpg

IMG_0239.JPG

Pinelands-Flowers 2011 828.jpg

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Is that last one on the Skit, upstream from the bridge on Carranza Road?
Bob, are you talking about my last photo or Jon's. If mine; No. But I was sure you would know my last one, You walking over it many times, unless I got the wrong stream for that bridge..

This first photo below is on the Skit up stream from Carranza Rd. And here's one more. This one is on the Sykes. as one of the first 5 photos.

Pinelands-2012 Skit Jan 026.jpg

IMG_0123.JPG

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Whoops, it was Johns. I was thinking of this one on the skit, downstream from Batona Camp. It just looked similar I suppose. My memory ain't so good anymore except certain things.

1647802747707.png

Attachments

• 1647802701456.png
    1647802701456.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 74

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I suspect that bridge is also for motorcycles.

Hopefully not. That is inside the FPP on the Red trail which isn't even supposed to be open to bicycles, only foot traffic. I'm not sure how strict those rules are; people probably bring mountain bikes back there anyway. But I definitely didn't see any signs of damage from motorcycles recently.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Hopefully not. That is inside the FPP on the Red trail which isn't even supposed to be open to bicycles, only foot traffic. I'm not sure how strict those rules are; people probably bring mountain bikes back there anyway. But I definitely didn't see any signs of damage from motorcycles recently.
I saw bicycle tracks on the Red Trail on Sunday.

Reactions: stiltzkin

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Several years back, while looking over a Topo Map of an area I was planning to explore, I noticed a double dash line road that scaled down to a single dash line path just short of a stream. At that point, you would need knee-high rubber boots to get across. The remnant of the bridge is now underwater. Continuing on the path on the over side for a short distance it disappears into the forest. One needs to go back to a 1951 map to see were that path takes you. I would think that since this path still shows on a current Topo Map that it must had some significant use at one time.

Westecunk.JPG