Piney Displaced.

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
Although I’ve lived in many places over the years, when I think of this elusive place known as “home,” my mind still turns to the pine barrens of South Jersey. Now, relocated to the Appalachians of West Virginia, I still turn to the horizon while driving, expecting sugar sand and tall pine stands, always, I think, just behind the next mountain bend. There it is, I suppose: once a Piney, always a Piney.

Yet, as I’ve commented before, there are strong parallels between the pine barren culture of New Jersey and rural Appalachian culture. It struck me first many years ago while watching the PBS documentary series “Country Boys,” which documents the life of two boys from Floyd County, Kentucky as they struggle with the dichotomy between the tradition of rural life and the call of urbanization, as well as the complexities of rural poverty. At the time, I’d never spent any time in Appalachia, yet their experiences harkened to my own growing up in New Jersey.

Again, as a student at Temple University, Dr. Audrey Horning was a guest lecturer for one of my classes. Her lecture on the work she conducted in Appalachia was formative in my mind for how I would approach work in the New Jersey pine barrens; struck again by the similarities, I saw a new paradigm for the connection of archaeological investigation and current cultural studies and folklore.

While in the process of researching an unrelated subject, I encountered the work of Dr. Mary T. Hufford, whose work specifically focuses on both Appalachia and the pine barrens of New Jersey. On the University of Pennsylvania website for the Center of Folklore and Ethnography, there are many of her articles available in PDF format. If you are interested in folklore and cultural history, they are certainly worth the time. And it seems that, like myself, she draws deep parallels between Appalachia and the New Jersey pine barrens.

Perhaps I am not so displaced after all; maybe we find the places, wherever we may be, that are home.

Give my love to New Jersey.

--Ariadne

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I suspect the little one is getting quite big by now!

Thanks for the post.

Guy

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
I was in that area of the country this past January, So West VA, WV, and we did some hiking and we did notice a lot of similarities except for the mountains. I spoke to several country boys and when I talked about the Pines, they couldn't understand that NJ is basically flat and when talking about a 50 ft hill being high in So. NJ, they wanted to know more. When we spoke about driving and the roads, and that our brakes last more than 30K miles, they were amazed. We intend to go back next year to do a little more exploring.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
.......When we spoke about driving and the roads, and that our brakes last more than 30K miles, they were amazed......

I've amazed many locals in VA and NC when telling them that in NJ you can't just run down to the grocery or convenience store to buy beer!

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
I suspect the little one is getting quite big by now!

Thanks for the post.

Guy

Yes, little Nikolai is now 17 months old. I can't believe it -- he is a very brave explorer indeed, and comes out to my project sites with me. We had another boy on April 1st of this year, born at 2 lbs 2 oz. He's doing great now, and is coming home this weekend after 101 days in the NICU! I can't wait to bring them both to Jersey on a vacation.

Attachments

• temp 060.jpg
    temp 060.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 469

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
My wife and I have vacationed in WV and Kentuckey, and I've had quite a few really good enjoyable conversations with "local" people. We love going to both states. The culture is different but they are people just the same.
I've also had similar conversations with "pineys" with the same results, really enjoyable talks/times. My favorite one was after I had bushwacked for a while in the woods I pretty much stumbled into someones yard. They were living in a shack, I guess they were squatters. I ended up "squating" with them for over an hour and had a great talk. I have never divulged their location to anyone out of respect for them, but it was a a great exeprience for me.
Sorry to ramble but this thread brought back some great memories.
Ariadne, thanks for posting.
Greg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, little Nikolai is now 17 months old. I can't believe it -- he is a very brave explorer indeed, and comes out to my project sites with me. We had another boy on April 1st of this year, born at 2 lbs 2 oz. He's doing great now, and is coming home this weekend after 101 days in the NICU! I can't wait to bring them both to Jersey on a vacation.

Glad all is well with both of them!

Guy