Pineys

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
We all had a 55-gallon barrel back then and burned off our paper trash, and hauled our hard trash to the dump in Lower Bank every week or so. You sure don't see that anymore

You didn't need to be Piney to do that. My grandmother lived her whole life in a small agricultural and coal mining town in Southern Illinois. She had the 55 gallon trash burner in her backyard for as long as I can remember. She lived by herself in a little house there until 2001 when she died at age 97. Right up until then, she would take the trash out every day and burn it - would be my chore when I visited. I have a feeling that this wasn't really legal anymore, but nobody was about to tell her to change her ways. :)

I have surveys of his properties. I will look for one.

Guy
Well, his first two on RT 542 are long gone, for many years now he has the property in the old blueberry bogs south and west off a dirt road and closer to Lower Bank now. Bing and Google have great photography, it's still fairly large! A great guy and a great family...Except of course for that one time when I was about five years old, he and my dad decided to show me how to chew tobacco...you can imagine the results!!!
:rofl:

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I do remember an $.18 hamburger when I lived in Metuchen NJ....circa 1960 was it? And when I lived in Hampton Lakes in 1962, my stepdad burned trash in a barrel in the back yard. When they had that big fire in the early 60's that swept the pine barrens, I used to think that he started it!

You lived in Metuchen? That's where I'm working now, at the Amtrak substation, built circa 1930.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You lived in Metuchen? That's where I'm working now, at the Amtrak substation, built circa 1930.

I was born in Perth Amboy. I also lived in Edison. I spent time in Augusta Georgia in the late 50's, then I moved to the Pines in 1960, then to Germany for a couple years, then back to Edison for 6 months, then to Presidential Lakes.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Here are a couple fairly recent recollections to see if anybody else knows who I am talking about.

1)The VET: there used to be a guy who would frequently walk from around burrs mill road on route 70 all the way to the Wawa (and maybe liquor store) at the 70/72 circle. I used to sometimes pick him up and give him a ride if the weather was bad. He was older and had one arm. He used to wear an army jacket and would put the emply arm sleeve in his pocket or back into the jacket a little. I never asked him about it, but figured it was a war injury. I haven't seen him in a while, but I don't travel that stretch much anymore.

2) The Walker: a long haired, hippie looking guy who walks around browns mills all day. reminds me of Jim Morrison. He is often wearing a Jacket in hot weather.

3) Horse guy: An older guy who would ride his horse through Mt. misery woods to the bar that used to be near mirror lake in browns mills.

Jeff

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
#2 is well known around town. I went to school with his brother. There are several stories as to why his got to be that way. I once saw him in a tree by Mirror Lake singing Taxman by The Beatles. I'll ask a friend about that used to manage Lakeview about #3. BTW where that bar was is also where the train into B Mills used to stop.