Place Names of Ocean County

All,

I just received last night this book I won on Ebay. I have not had time to read much of it but did see some interesting things in it. One entry caught my attention:

"Old Halfway, carters' stop

Originally Halfway, a carters' stop; later reputed to be a village where clay was mined; today, merely a point on the map. It appears that when a second stop, called Little Halfway, was set up at a fork in the road north of the original, the name of the first establishment was modified by the prefixing of the adjective Old........"

It gives a date for Halfway as 1817

Anyone ever hear of Little Halfway? I guess we have some searching to do. :D

Also, Guy will be interested in this, it mentions "Lawrence Line Road" ....."from Prospertown to Westecunk, now West Creek.'........."The north section is currently called Hawkin Road."[/b]

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
"Old Halfway, carters' stop

Originally Halfway, a carters' stop; later reputed to be a village where clay was mined; today, merely a point on the map. It appears that when a second stop, called Little Halfway, was set up at a fork in the road north of the original, the name of the first establishment was modified by the prefixing of the adjective Old........"

It gives a date for Halfway as 1817

Anyone ever hear of Little Halfway? I guess we have some searching to do. :D

Also, Guy will be interested in this, it mentions "Lawrence Line Road" ....."from Prospertown to Westecunk, now West Creek.'........."The north section is currently called Hawkin Road

I believe it was mentioned here once before about Little Half Way. I can't find the post though. I think it was Ben's post.

As for the Lawrence Line Road, that is interesting. I did a search for Hawkin Road on mapquest and mapsonus and neither came up with that road in that area. There is only one road presently in West Creek that follows the Lawrence Line, and it is not named Hawkin.

Guy

pineypwr17

Feb 10, 2004
i live in west crick and ive never heard of that road.....where is it or what is it called?

thanks, jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
pineypwr17 said:
i live in west crick and ive never heard of that road.....where is it or what is it called?

thanks, jim

Reading his post over, I realize now that when it mentions the north section, it must be talking about the Prospertown area, not the West Creek area.

Guy