Planning a Batona Trail Thru Hike

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Or could it be that they are on the poles because the poles standing out in the open breeze may pick up pollen, etc that then clings to them attracking the hornets???
I don't think hornets eat pollen and they don't make honey.They eat insects and spiders. I wonder if it was cool out and perhaps the sun was warming the steel slightly and they were on the steel or warmth?

@Jermide

Feb 1, 2018
I don't think hornets eat pollen and they don't make honey.They eat insects and spiders. I wonder if it was cool out and perhaps the sun was warming the steel slightly and they were on the steel or warmth?

You're right. They eat insects. They were fascinating to watch so closely, summer 2012. I noticed they would land and wait on my dogs' feces in the yard and grab flies when they came around! Then, directly back to the nest...

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I wonder if they were smart enough to use dog crap as bait or if they landed there to lick salt and took advantage of the flies when they showed up? I don't know if insects crave salt like mammals do?

T

Toothy Critter

It was 45 years or so ago so damn if I remember the paint but it was sunny. I thought they might have been attracted to the warm metal. IDK. But I'm talking many thousands of wasps. Not flying, not eating, as far as I noticed. Just chilling, like a huge organism or entity. Geez...I watch too many creature feature movies :rolleyes: But I'm sure the Rangers that man the towers have seen it before, and may know the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: manumuskin