Planning a kayaking & camping trip input needed

Kayzphotoz

May 25, 2010
For some time I've been planning to kayak & camp the Batsto. We were gong to go this Memorial Day. I called the ranger station they said it's 2$ pp to camp. To pay ahead of time & get our permits before we head out.

I was going to put in at Hampton Furnace & kayak to Lower Forge. Can someone tell me the amenities at Lower Forge? I was going to pack the poles on the top of the boat & the material & stakes inside in a larger dry bag I have.

Does anyone have any added input for what I need or should do. Are there any services there. My husband now says last minute we're not equipped to do this & is backing out at the last minute. Anyone have any ideas? I've kayaked from Hampton Furnace to Quakerbridge, Quakerbridge to the lake several times. So the kayaking isn't an issue I think he's worried about getting stuck out there w/o proper equipment. He has truly valid worries so that's why I'm looking for add'l info to figure this trip out.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Karen

bushwacker

Scout
May 18, 2009
port republic
the ranger will tell you if there are fire restrictions or not, it can vary.

you need to be prepared with a cook stove, in case fires are restricted.

BTW hampton to lower is kind of a short run, making lower to batsto the next day that much longer.

If you can work out the shuttles, paddle to quaker bridge and car camp at goshen pond
then finish quaker to bastso the next day. more even trip legs.

it's more complicated but you can bring more stuff

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Are we allowed to have a fire? So tent, food, water & toilet paper? K

Fires are a moving target, depending upon conditions. They will tell you when you get the permit and bans are posted in the camp, if they are in effect. I don't recall a ban at the Batona Camp this morning but there was one last week. You will have lots of company.

Kayzphotoz

May 25, 2010
Are there any amenities at goshen besides having the luxury of having more stuff in our car? I thought it would be less crowded if the site was only reachable by kayak. The ranger station suggested kayaking from hampton furnace to lower forge & kayaking back to hampton furnace.

I was going to do this over 3 days. kayak hf to to lf. Then day 2 just kayak down a few hours then come back & hang again at the camp site then day 3 pack up & kayak back to put in.

K

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Karen,
Goshen has potable water, but you are sure to have more folks camping with you. Ed is correct, Forest Fire determines whether fires are permitted on a daily basis. I would vote for Lower Forge this weekend.

turtle

bushwacker

Scout
May 18, 2009
port republic
Are there any amenities at goshen besides having the luxury of having more stuff in our car? I thought it would be less crowded if the site was only reachable by kayak. The ranger station suggested kayaking from hampton furnace to lower forge & kayaking back to hampton furnace.

I was going to do this over 3 days. kayak hf to to lf. Then day 2 just kayak down a few hours then come back & hang again at the camp site then day 3 pack up & kayak back to put in.

K
Amenities, that's funny. potable water IS the amenity

goshen is 5 minutes from the Pic...they have amenities..

but realy all these spots are bare bones, only godfrey or hawken even have picnic tables

LF will be quiet, but wherever you go this weekend you will have neighbors. crowds at mullica, godfrey, bodine, I would expect.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Memorial Day can be an ugly one at any of the Pines campsites, but maybe you'll get lucky. You might also want to consider the Mullica River wilderness campsite. A nice paddle that has a campsite with water & outhouse. Talk about amenities! Have a great time:)

Campfires are only allowed only in fire rings in "approved" campsites. "Call ahead" suggests that there are fire rings at Lower forge. I recommend an alcohol stove and MSR fuel bottle with 200-proof benzene-free ethanol for cooking - it's the only way you'll legally get alcohol through the Wharton State Forest. They'll confiscate your booze otherwise. Firearms must be in a locked box.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Campfires are only allowed only in fire rings in "approved" campsites. "Call ahead" suggests that there are fire rings at Lower forge. I recommend an alcohol stove and MSR fuel bottle with 200-proof benzene-free ethanol for cooking - it's the only way you'll legally get alcohol through the Wharton State Forest. They'll confiscate your booze otherwise. Firearms must be in a locked box.

I have never seen a fire ring at Lower Forge or Batona Camp but open fires are permitted there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes it is private. However, the last time Al and I were there the dam had been damaged and the lake was empty. They may have fixed it for all I know.

Mudboy said he was leaving town so I figured he would not answer so I did.

Guy

Windsor

Scout
Aug 11, 2005
Somerdale
Thanks Guy! The wife and I have been looking for a place like this. I'll look into it and see what condition the place is in these days.