Plant ID

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Excellent! I am in awe of your ability with that camera.

We used our camera (that is a lot like yours, a Canon somethingorother) for the very opposite application today, my husband made a kite rig for it. It's not piney related so I'll just post the link if you are interested. This was at Sandy Hook today. We will get to the pines at some point and try it out. There are plenty of areas that are open enough to launch the kite.
http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/...hotography Sandy Hook NJ/?albumview=slideshow

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We used our camera (that is a lot like yours, a Canon somethingorother) for the very opposite application today, my husband made a kite rig for it. It's not piney related so I'll just post the link if you are interested. This was at Sandy Hook today. We will get to the pines at some point and try it out. There are plenty of areas that are open enough to launch the kite.
http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/...hotography Sandy Hook NJ/?albumview=slideshow

That is way cool! How did he direct the camera...remote control? Also, some of the photo's at the end did not match what showed up. Is that just me??

Any of the rye fields and even Batsto will work with a kite I would say.

Guy

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Isn't it though? He made this rig and attached a bunch of servos to it so we can operate it remotely. (this is not the camera we used today). One servo swings it around, one up and down, and one operates the shutter. There is a photo in that album that shows Joe right beneath the camera holding the remote. You can just see the rings it hangs from. We made some clips that we can attach to the kite string and then hang the rig from. It works like a champ. It is very imortant, I learned today, to not only have a good, stable kite, but to have high-test kite string! I had to retrieve our good kite from the ocean, a few hundred feet offshore from Asbury Park today when the string broke. Fortunately, we had not yet attached the camera. Phew. (and yes, the water's freaking cold).
IMG_1581.jpg

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
And I am not sure what you mean by the photos not matching what shows up. DO you mean the thumbnails at the bottom? They match for me. Strange.

And I was thinking Friendship would be a great place to take the kite cam. The ruins and the bogs behind them would make for some interesting shots.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And I am not sure what you mean by the photos not matching what shows up. DO you mean the thumbnails at the bottom? They match for me. Strange.

And I was thinking Friendship would be a great place to take the kite cam. The ruins and the bogs behind them would make for some interesting shots.

An interesting rig. Looks like something we make at work :)

Yes, the thumbnails did not match. It may be Safari. Maybe another Mac user will post.

Guy

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Joe found a website where someone describes it, I think. Lots of people apparently do it. We had to experiment with kites, and the best one we have (the one I had to rescue from the ocean yesterday) has about a 5 foot wingspan. It's great for low or moderate wind. The windspeed matters a lot, and we are still experimenting. We have a parafoil-style kite that might work better in higher winds.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder if helium balloons would work also?

Guy

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I wonder if helium balloons would work also?

Guy

I don't see why not, but you'd need a LOT of lift. Like a weather balloon. The rig weighs a few pounds, and if there's not enough lift under the kite wing, it won't get it very far off the ground.

By the way, I misspoke. Our best kite has a 10' wingspan and is delta-shaped.