Plany Effigy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Can anyone tell me what this is? I"ll be in this area next month and may stop and give it a gander.

Attachments

• Effigy.jpg
    Effigy.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 213

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
yes.It is obviously bushes or trees of some sort planted in a pattern or design.It looks like an Indian paddling a canoe flipped over to the left.If you rotated the photo 90% to the right it would be upright. I seen something like this in imagery of Canaan valley WV.It was words spelled out by bushes.I went there on the ground and it was actually 15 ft high alder trees in an open wet meadow.I could tell the O once i got in the middle of it but the letters were so huge it was not apparent from th ground i was inside of a word.The imagery is still on Google earth showing the word.I"ll have to post it.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Here is the imagery from the 90's.The word is still visible in the latest imagery.I walked through this word from the W to the S.The O"s were noticeable.I was definitely in the "WOODS"!

Attachments

• Woods.jpg
    Woods.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 153

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Here is the imagery from the 90's.The word is still visible in the latest imagery.I walked through this word from the W to the S.The O"s were noticeable.I was definitely in the "WOODS"!

Is their an airfield near there or a town. It was a custom to designate the name of an airfield or town by 'painting' the symbol/name of it on the ground, typically done out west. Gardiner MT has a large G on a hillside done with stones, Livingston MT has a fish and the letter P.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillside_letters

You can see it well in GE back in 1997, definitely plants of some type. Topo shows the area as swamp.

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes this is in Nebraska and is in the Sandhills.It is not swamp but is rolling prairie in Cherry County, NE I"ll be there next month and am going to check this out.I"ll ask rangers or local folk about it to see what is is and why it was planted like this.No airports anywhere in the area that I"m aware of.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yes this is in Nebraska and is in the Sandhills.It is not swamp but is rolling prairie in Cherry County, NE I"ll be there next month and am going to check this out.I"ll ask rangers or local folk about it to see what is is and why it was planted like this.No airports anywhere in the area that I"m aware of.

I was replying to your 'Woods' post ;)

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was replying to your 'Woods' post ;)
My bad! It is in an open bog.Actually much of it can be walked on but there are bad spots.It is sort of like Canadian Tundra but with occasional trees.It is Canaan Valley Wildlife refuge and is a high elevation wetland and is gorgeous.I have wandered into bear several times here,the creeks are gorgeous.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
This is the reply I got from an official of the Nebraska national Forest and Grasslands facebook page
Greg Wright Hi Alfred - what you are seeing is a string of hand planted trees, most likely rocky mountain juniper. These shelter belts are placed to serve as bedding or thermal cover for wildlife and can provide refuge during extreme weather events.
This doesn't explain the apparent picture.I"ve asked Him about the apparent design.He has not answered yet.

Reactions: bobpbx