Poisin OAK

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Well, I just returned from my spring break trip to Oregon.. while i was there i was at this one spot known for it's rattlers and gopher snakes.. i was flipping rocks when a park ranger was walking by and says "hey son, you know you're standing right in poisin oak."

I got out and washed myself off with some water, i thought i got the plant's liquid off of me in time but within 48 hours i got it all up and down my right arm, and it's still spreading like wild fire. I've gotten it bad before but not this bad.

Anybody know of any cures/remedys???

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Oogh, sorry to hear that. My husband and I have been nursing an awful mystery case of poison ivy these past two weeks. (we honestly can't think of how we got it). I have been doing some reading about it, and have gotten a few tips:
-Alcohol is what you should wash with when you first find out you have been exposed. Change cotton balls often, wipe in a circle inwardly as not to spread, and cover a wide area. THEN wash with soap. The idea is to remove the oils from your skin before it has been absorbed. Using soap first may serve to spread the irritating oil around. Clip and wash under your fingernails with alcohol first and then soap, it lodges there and that's how you get the rash in lines.
-Wash your clothing in hot water with plenty of detergent. If you brought a backpack with you, wash that, too.
-Take an oral antihistamine if you can tolerate it, like Benadryl. Topical benadryl is available, too, but we found that it doesn't help much.
-Putting colloidal oatmeal on the rash helps a lot! Go to the drug store and look for Aveeno bath, it's little packets of oatmeal powder. Dermatologists recommend it, and it's very soothing.
-Clean the affected area often, a few times a day, with soap and lots and lots of water, to get rid of the serum and other junk that accumulates. That wil help cut down on the intense itching. You may feel that it's spreading, but that's probably not the case, the irritting oil has been absorbed into your skin, and it usually takes some time for the rash to appear.
-If it gets terribly weepy, you should probably wrap the affected area with a clean gauze and Nexcare wrap. That will also prevent you from scratching it, and outta sight, outta mind. It will heal, it just takes what seems forever. Change the gauze a few times a day.
If you feel that it's getting out of hand, call your doctor. Sometimes, steriods are the best thing for you if it is a really bad case.
Sorry about your itchies. :jeffd:

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I use to use caladryl lotion it worked pretty good. I think your best bet is going to a doctor and getting some steroids, or meds they can provide they always have access to the best stuff. Poison oak is bad in oregon, my brother in law is from roseberg and they use to have goats to eat the poison oak. As for oregon i've heard it is gorgeous out there, any luck with the herps?

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Make a tea from the bark ,leaves and twigs of a birch tree. Put a few big handfuls in 2 quarts . Boil it till it is nice and dark. Strain and put in the fridge.Apply it liberally several times a day.It makes a great drink sweetened on ice also.Next time you get in a patch,find some jewel weed as soon as possible,it is also called touch me not,and sometimes snapdragon.The juice in the stalks will nuetralize the poison,it also helps with the rash,but not as well as the tea.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Ooh, yeah, jewel weed. That works pretty well. I have made a tea out of the plant and patted it on my arm with a cotton ball, and it really did soothe it. Completely forgot about that one. It's cool how it usually grows right near poison ivy. :)

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
poison ivy/oak - stump water

Gerania said:
http://www.knoledge.org/oak/#remedies
"Poison Oak FAQ"

This site is pretty interesting. Domboro and the hot water method among others. You may be trying all of them in the next few days.

had a great-uncle who swore by this:
Take a pint of stump water collected under the light of a full moon, mutter obscure incantations while pouring the stump water over a capped bottle of Calamine lotion. Rinse off the bottle with tap water. Open the bottle and apply the Calamine lotion liberally to all affeceted sites. let it dry. This may be helpful in reducing the pruritus AFTER every initial effort to remove the plant resins/oil with alcohol or strong laundry soap ("Fels Naptha") has been made.

Luck t'ye,
Dave

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
That was followed by a couple of good wallops of 'shine, right?

uuglypher said:
had a great-uncle who swore by this:
Take a pint of stump water collected under the light of a full moon, mutter obscure incantations while pouring the stump water over a capped bottle of Calamine lotion. Rinse off the bottle with tap water. Open the bottle and apply the Calamine lotion liberally to all affeceted sites. let it dry. This may be helpful in reducing the pruritus AFTER every initial effort to remove the plant resins/oil with alcohol or strong laundry soap ("Fels Naptha") has been made.

Luck t'ye,
Dave