Poison Ivy and Indian Mills

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Still doing a few surveys in Camden County, so my usual run is to go through Chatsworth out to Tabernacle, cross 206 and head down Oak Shade to Jackson. I got tired of that, so I decided to try a back way via Indian Mills. I head down 206 to Willow Grove Road, and run that to Atsion, then north to Jackson. This is odd, but it's the first time since I've lived in South Jersey that I've ever been to Indian Mills. Anyway, I like that way, and I like the oddity of Indian Mills; such a different area than the pines proper.

Anyway, if you want to see a gigantic poison Ivy, stop by this bridge and look downstream on the left side. The thing is huge. It runs up a tree and dominates the tree. Incredible.

1686183150861.png

1686183520952.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I lived about a mile from there back in 1996-1997, on Stokes Rd near the Three Bridge intersection (in a home we rented from Steve Abrams, who must be related to our own @M1 Abrams , but I'm not sure how!) :D

Reactions: bobpbx

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
@bobpbx,

I would guess that New Road is a private road, but I could be wrong. I've never used it.

It's strange for me to think of Indian Mills as different than the pines proper. That might be because our farm on Atsion Road where my brother and his family now live (as well as the adjoining property on the other side of the road now owned by KTC-NJ) is surrounded by Wharton State Forest. I never gave much thought to the idea of the majority of Indian Mills being different from our corner of it, but I can see why you'd say that.

@Boyd,

I don't think I even know half of my cousins, but fortunately, Steven Abrams is in the half that I do know. He's my first cousin once removed. Steven's grandfather was R. Everett Abrams (Everett), the second of Raymond and Lillian Abrams's fourteen children. My father was John Sr., who was number six.

Reactions: Boyd

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Lots of Abrams in this area, or at least a lot of signs with the name on them!

Bob, this is my neck of the woods, I never knew much of the area (Indian mills) growing up but we love the area. I consider it the pines but more of the agg side.

Pretty sure that road is private. I’ve driven by 100x and never noticed it.

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
Hi dragoncjo,

In terms of both range and depth, Bob has gathered far more knowledge of the Pine Barrens than yours truly. When he referred to the oddity of Indian Mills, I certainly wasn't going to contradict him. Speaking personally, I've always considered myself as an inhabitant of the Pines, both for the first few years of my life in Indian Mills and for the last six decades in Tabernacle.

The Abrams signs are just the tip of the iceberg. ;)

Reactions: Boyd