Poking along the Tulpe...

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
After a few weeks of hectic it was a gift to be able to sneak off into the woods and do some hiking-exploring-catch-up with dear Glo! Spring of 09' saw me choosing sites so this time I left it up to her (but really hinted that I wanted to play on the Tulpe!)
Yesterday couldn't have been a more glorious day to be outdoors. We got an early start and walked the south bank for a couple hours. Shared praise, grace, and a lite lunch along the trail. Then finished the day with a couple more hours on the north bank. I loved that these areas see little visitation. On a weekday they feel even more remote. Nothing but the soft whispers of breezes in the pine tops and downstream water sounds....
and (frogs?!) :rolleyes:
It was not a great day for the camera but we managed to catch some views worth sharing. Perhaps Gloria's camera cooperated a bit better than mine. There was a multitude of deer tracks. For as many tracks that we saw there was little if any evidence of browsing on the white cedar seedlings that grew in thick patches along the Tulpe.....? Scattered seedlings seemed more affected. Enough white acorns this year?
The surprise of the day was to see one lone yellow bladderwort and two pine barren gentian. By the time we retraced our steps, the gentians had closed as the sun had passed over and they were now in the shade. It was Nov. 1 !
Just an exceptional day to be out in the pines.

The beavers hard at work
101_9396.JPG

quiet pines-soft sun
101_9400.JPG

deep - clear - dark - reflective
101_9413.JPG

bog iron formations in the early stage....it was very "gummy"
101_9417.JPG

deeper formations along a side creek
101_9450.JPG

bladderwort
101_9422.JPG

gentian
101_9434.JPG

soft billowy clouds of grass
101_9440.JPG

Up river a bit
101_9446.JPG

Turtle

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is so much to see along that river. Glad you got to enjoy it and let us in on your adventure!

Guy

reelboys

Scout
Dec 22, 2008
holy park nj
gentian

Yes thats the flowers every one raving over in coil feild area ,,,epa says were killing them and they closed the area off east off red road near rt 72 the area were we 1 st met you and bob all the way down the boundry line

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes thats the flowers every one raving over in coil feild area ,,,epa says were killing them and they closed the area off east off red road near rt 72 the area were we 1 st met you and bob all the way down the boundry line

Realboys,

Yes, I noticed that they have bulldozed that road along 72 to keep anyone from accessing that area. I was wondering why they did that and may now know.

Guy

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Turtle,
You had a fantastic day, Tuesday was really nice. I enjoyed the pictures. One of your pictures was bladderwort. Is this the same flower in my picture? They were in an area normally under water, but it had been dry this summer. The picture was taken 9/25. I misplaced my field guide and wasn't sure what they were.
Thanks,
Greg
asset.php