Polar Plunge

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
My daughter and I went to Seaside to watch George (Largo) and an amazing 3,700 other people jump in the frigid ocean. It is an absolute riot and a good time always had by all. It has grown to a huge event. They made $1,100,000 for Special Olympics today. I know it doesn't sound right, but thats what was announced later.

Here they go out..

OUTM.JPG

A Bunny...

BUNNYM.JPG

The Marx Brothers...

MARXM.JPG

And back in..

BACKINM.JPG

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Wonderful day with seasonal and fair waters! Boooyah.
I was glad to have good friends and family along and Bob... I truly didn't think I'd get lucky enough to see you two years in a row. I am pleased that you did, and do share time with your daughter and brought her into the madness.
Good $$$$ were raised for good kids and folks.
The tide was low so to get "real water" you had to go out, and out into the cold.
I was in a particularly Grinchy mood so I got a wonderful, awful idea, and a second go in was required. Thanks for the pics Bob!
We finished up with a nice ride to the aquarium at Jenks in Point Pleasant and then a stop for a meal at Friday's down around Brick.
Bob,
Ya gotta do it my man, I know you got the stamina for it, you just gotta get that mind over matter thing going, and drink much liquor after to settle you.

g.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I haven't been on in a while and just noticed this thread. I was there and took the plunge for the second year in a row (I may even be in one of those pictures,lol)! It was a ton of fun. The first time I did it, I kinda got sucked into it, but it was an amazing rush! Can;t wait until next years! Very exhilerating!!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did you have to get the bands on your wrists to swim?

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I haven't been on in a while and just noticed this thread. I was there and took the plunge for the second year in a row (I may even be in one of those pictures,lol)! It was a ton of fun. The first time I did it, I kinda got sucked into it, but it was an amazing rush! Can;t wait until next years! Very exhilerating!!!

This was my 10th year at this event. My Avatar is from my very first year. I've done others scattered here and there but this is the big one.

g.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
i used to go swimmin in the winter when I was young,now that I'm old I just fall in from clumsiness.
I've always heard this could give you a heart attack.Never had one of those myself but I can say I came out of the water one year and my legs were so numb I could barely walk.if felt like i was balancing myself on my hips,very odd feeling.
Al

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
i used to go swimmin in the winter when I was young,now that I'm old I just fall in from clumsiness.
I've always heard this could give you a heart attack.Never had one of those myself but I can say I came out of the water one year and my legs were so numb I could barely walk.if felt like i was balancing myself on my hips,very odd feeling.
Al

Here's a great article about how effortlessly cold can kill. Saw it many years ago and saved it. With it being a bit chilly out, it makes a fascinating read.

http://outside.away.com/magazine/0197/9701fefreez.html

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Great work and congrats! We do Al's Plunge in Pt Pleasant sometime in February each year and it aint warm then either. Nice doing fun things for a good cause.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Great work and congrats! We do Al's Plunge in Pt Pleasant sometime in February each year and it aint warm then either. Nice doing fun things for a good cause.

Point Pleasant has been out now 3 years.
(The town, much to Jenk's dismay, claimed the event "too much" if you will.)
Seaside Hts welcomed us with open arms. This will be year 11 for me.
Always one of the first in! There are some unflattering pics of me floating around. (Thanks Robert)
Thank goodness the body of a Greek Adonis graces me or I'd feel somewhat silly.
Last year approx 3700 bodies went into the water. The Point Pleasant gig has always been the record holder and now... Seaside gets the accolades.
I saw BobPBX two years in a row (a pleasant surprise)
Now if I can just get the old coot in the water!
It truly is an experience. I have taken many in on their first (and last) plunge. I have all the sign up info for any interested.

g. (resident idiot of the forums)

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Point Pleasant has been out now 3 years.
(The town, much to Jenk's dismay, claimed the event "too much" if you will.)
Seaside Hts welcomed us with open arms. This will be year 11 for me.
)
Now that you mentioned it, we meet at the Broadway in Point but our plunge takes place in Manasquan. Then its to O'Neills for the after party. 11 yrs is great. I've only been doing it for a couple now. Stay warm.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Coming up on the plunge this year again!

I just re-read this thread and didn't realize it was in Seaside. I do Sea Isle City every year...

Our plunge is the day before valentine's Day!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I once did a very dumb thing while duck hunting at Great Bay WMA.
I did start shivering out of control once I was out but dried my self fast, dressed & was good to go. It was a stupid thing to do for sure. But when you're young & dumb you feel invincible. :dance:

The fact that you were shivering is good. I've seen first hand. When you stop shivering, not good. I will say this, I've done lake plunges for animal charity, go figure. Lake water or river water like Batsto, blows the heck out of sea water for cold. Whether the salinity, or the movement, the sea seems easier. I though I got in real trouble once doing a lake swim, I cramped up, and yet had to go back in to get a lady out. Lakes or any still cold water is wicked cold!!!
I've been in the Batsto on labor day and froze the nunnies off and swam in Lake Nescochague in October. It will make you mindful trust me.
My real goal is to do one of the major hardcore, thick ice on the lake plunges one day like Guy showed. I must go North. One day after I've safely raised the family and got nuthin' left to loose. My daughter fights hard to go in every year and my wife has stood her ground, citing that dad is a moron. I think it will be soon though.
A few years back I had a chance to break a plunge record with my son Sammy. Two six year olds went in logged as the youngest ever. They were older than him as his birthday is in January, and he just turned six, mere weeks before the plunge. I had it in the bag! I almost... tossed him in just to get the record but, my marriage may have suffered.

g.