possible change in our weather pattern?

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
I know nothing about weather patterns and how they work and what not, but does anyone notice the past few years whenever we get a fair amount of snow precipitaion it almost always switches to rain. My memory may be blurry but i never really remember it doing that before the last few years. I remember the snow being there for the next week on the ground. Anyone know if maybe the pattern of weather in our region changed? Maybe the path of the jetstream moved. I've been watching the snow for a while and most all the storms in the last few years have done this its strange to me.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I'm 47-years. I can guarentee our weather pattern has changed over the last 35-40 years. The amount of snow accumulation, the frequency of the snow and the type of snow have all changed over those years and it's not just because I was much younger than. It has definately changed.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Sure it has changed and it will keep changing. Nothing in this world stays the same.Who knows why, they have been keeping weather reports for less then 210 years so who knows,enjoy while you can and try to keep things the same for others to enjoy:)

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
yeah as long as im the not the only one noticing these changes. I and good point weather hasnt even been recorded that long at all in scale of this planets time

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
There are lots of guesses as to why the weather has changed, but unfortunately the actual data does not always support the popular opinion. All too often selective data is used to force a particular opinion (as has been done in the most recent opinion of the antarctic weather). There is too much actual data, gathered from over a thousand years, that conflicts with the reasons given for the climate changes we are experiencing today. One thing is certain, the weather changes, over short periods and over long periods, always has and always will.

firetech792

Scout
Aug 26, 2007
Central NJ
www.sectionb10.org
I'm in my 40's and as a kid and teenager I remember just about every winter getting big snow storms. Now, specifically the last few years, its two or three dustings, maybe an inch or two and thats it for the season. And yes, more rain.
Pete
(I'm good at jinxing things when I mention them so we'll probably get a few feet next week)

MartGBC

Scout
Sep 10, 2008
Glendora
It is one word- "DEVELOPMENT". You have more buildings and blacktop roads that hold more heat. This in turn keeps the area warmer.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
There are lots of guesses as to why the weather has changed, but unfortunately the actual data does not always support the popular opinion. All too often selective data is used to force a particular opinion (as has been done in the most recent opinion of the antarctic weather). There is too much actual data, gathered from over a thousand years, that conflicts with the reasons given for the climate changes we are experiencing today. One thing is certain, the weather changes, over short periods and over long periods, always has and always will.

It seems pretty plain and obvious to this scientist.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Can you explain

Reviewing the data and the publications on climate change, I agree that climate change has been exponentially exacerbated by the anthropogenic contribution of insulating substances such as CO2 to the earth's insulating layer. I do not think the data is biased or selectively reported, it's valid and scientific. And I am the first to argue with those who try to draw conclusions from crappy epidemiologic data like the study that linked underwire bras with breast cancer.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Reviewing the data and the publications on climate change, I agree that climate change has been exponentially exacerbated by the anthropogenic contribution of insulating substances such as CO2 to the earth's insulating layer. I do not think the data is biased or selectively reported, it's valid and scientific.
I agree (somewhat)! The issue of CO2 in the atmosphere has been blamed on mans activities, yet many polar drillings have revealed rising levels of CO2, even higher than todays levels) in samples that were hundreds of years old. These rising CO2 levels typically occurred prior to the warming that happened at that time and dissipated later. These and other scientific studies have shown that the earth has cooled and warmed for thousands of years.
The only real thing we know for certain is that we don't know the cause of all of our weather changes, some are explainable--others are not. So, to claim that it must be caused by man, simply because we can not explain it, is neither logical or scientific. This view is shared by thousands of scientists. Unfortunately, only one opinion for these changes are usually heard or sadly even allowed. Qoute--Joe Biden during the VP debate "Global warming is caused by man and that's that". The fact that only one view is accepted is almost as big of a scare as climate change itself and degrades the results and accuracy of any scientific study.

I'm done and don't mean for this to be a never ending thread, so maybe we agree to disagree and let's get back to real piney talk. :v:

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I agree (somewhat)! The issue of CO2 in the atmosphere has been blamed on mans activities, yet many polar drillings have revealed rising levels of CO2, even higher than todays levels) in samples that were hundreds of years old.
I do not believe I have seen the data that shows the CO2 levels in polar ice core samples is higher than it is today. Do you have that source handy?

These rising CO2 levels typically occurred prior to the warming that happened at that time and dissipated later. These and other scientific studies have shown that the earth has cooled and warmed for thousands of years.
That is true. (except you will want to substitute "tens of millions" for "thousands"). There is a cyclical nature to our global climate.

So, to claim that it must be caused by man, simply because we can not explain it, is neither logical or scientific.
That is not even close to what I am talking about. Nobody is claiming it because we can't explain it. What I said in my earlier post is that there is valid scientific data that does explain it.
I'm done and don't mean for this to be a never ending thread, so maybe we agree to disagree and let's get back to real piney talk. :v:

I don't plan to belabor it either, but I feel the need to point out that you have either misunderstood or misrepresented what I am talking about. I agree this is not the place for a bitch-slappy fest over global warming. I am just giving you my scientific persepctive on it.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Take a look at the historical weather data from the Franklin Institute - it's pretty interesting. Click on the "graph" links to quickly see the trend during the winter months:

http://www.fi.edu/weather/data2/index.html

Starting back in 1874 I just now clicked through a number of years and there are a lot of 60 or even 70 degree days during January and February. Using your 35-40 year time frame Nascar, 1969-72 look like colder winters. 1973 and 74 look more like this year and last year to me:

http://www.fi.edu/weather/data2/1973.gif
http://www.fi.edu/weather/data2/1974.gif

Draw your own conclusions. Memory is not always perfect, especially from when we were kids. Unlike some people, I have no political agenda regarding climate change and try to keep an open mind. Neither side has convinced me.

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
anyone know anything about the earths wobble. Im very clueless about it for the most part but i think the earth does a wobble every 23,000 years and i thought 2012 was the end of the wobble. Maybe the wobble is in the warmer point. but i guess that couldn't make sudden changes really. Anyone know more about it?