Possible Government Shut-down may affect your weekend..

Cherokee261

Scout
Aug 6, 2015
Medford Lakes
Although the Governor certainly shares responsibility for the shutdown, in fairness this situation was caused by Assembly Speaker Vincent Prieto (D, Hudson). He refused to put the Horizon bill up for a vote, thereby denying the assembly of the opportunity to vote on it, one way or the other.

The Assembly is controlled by his party, yet he refused to allow a vote, which seems like an abuse of power even though it is legally permitted. He made a unilateral decision instead of allowing the democratic process to play out. It seems to me the only reason he would have done that is because he felt the vote would not have gone his way.

Steve Sweeney and the Senate, also under Democratic control, reached an agreement and It appears at this point that Sweeney is just as frustrated with Prieto as Christie is.

Of course it doesn't change the fact that it's inexcusable to have needlessly ruined holiday plans for so many NJ families.

Reactions: h2ochild

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Although the Governor certainly shares responsibility for the shutdown, in fairness this situation was caused by Assembly Speaker Vincent Prieto (D, Hudson). He refused to put the Horizon bill up for a vote, thereby denying the assembly of the opportunity to vote on it, one way or the other.

The Assembly is controlled by his party, yet he refused to allow a vote, which seems like an abuse of power even though it is legally permitted. He made a unilateral decision instead of allowing the democratic process to play out. It seems to me the only reason he would have done that is because he felt the vote would not have gone his way.

Steve Sweeney and the Senate, also under Democratic control, reached an agreement and It appears at this point that Sweeney is just as frustrated with Prieto as Christie is.

Of course it doesn't change the fact that it's inexcusable to have needlessly ruined holiday plans for so many NJ families.
This whole thing is a positioning move for the next gubernatorial election. Why would Sweeney side with Prieto? He's likely going to be in the running. Let all the blame fall on Christie and Prieto. That would be the prudent move. Here we are in July talking politics like it's Halloween.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
These signs were posted at the entrance to the Carranza Memorial parking lot and Batona camp. There were cones at the entrance to the lot , at one entrance someone neatly stacked them out of the way. Six horse trailers and several cars in the lot. Several campers in Batona Camp enjoying the morning as they should. This is total BS and should not be accepted.
P7010008.JPG

P7010009s.JPG

And yes, I did rotate the first picture but it comes up sideways anyway.

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014

First of all Sweeny's party is Republican Lite.

The Horizon bill has nothing to do with the budget EXCEPT for the fact that Christie is holding the process h0stage. No Horizon bill and he WILL sign the budget, after line item vetoes of over 70 items the democrats want. Pass the Horizon bill and he'll sign, leaving those items in, PROVING has has NO PROBLEM with those items!!!!
It all comes from Horizon's refusal to hand over 300 million of THEIR MONEY!!!!

On the bright side the George Washington bridge is open.

Thank you Mr. Speaker for fighting the good fight.

Cherokee261

Scout
Aug 6, 2015
Medford Lakes
First of all Sweeny's party is Republican Lite.

The Horizon bill has nothing to do with the budget EXCEPT for the fact that Christie is holding the process h0stage. No Horizon bill and he WILL sign the budget, after line item vetoes of over 70 items the democrats want. Pass the Horizon bill and he'll sign, leaving those items in.
It all comes from Horizon's refusal to hand over 300 million of THEIR MONEY!!!!

On the bright side the George Washington bridge is open.

Thank you Mr. Speaker for fighting the good fight.
If Prieto's Democrats feel that way, why not let them vote it down?

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
If Prieto's Democrats feel that way, why not let them vote it down?

Because if they do over 70 items they want in the budget will disappear.
Again, these are items Christie has no problem with, he will veto them ONLY because his Horizon bill was not passed.

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
They could have voted down the budget also. He didn't allow the vote because his own party would have approved it. As it stands they had no say in the matter.

They need to present a budget to Christie, not vote on it. The horizon bill is not part of the budget.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
These people are not representing the citizens of NJ. It is a shameful, dramatic hissy fit for which the people now have to bear the burden. I am just disgusted with the lot of them.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I"m taking my dogs swimming tomorrow,on state forest land.Figure out where.The government does not own the rivers and they don't own the land.We do.I can't figure out how we have no money to keep the parks open but we have the money to pay park Police to patrol lands to keep us off. Theres 90,000 acres out there.It's their guess where and when. I'll take this one to court.

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
These people are not representing the citizens of NJ. It is a shameful, dramatic hissy fit for which the people now have to bear the burden. I am just disgusted with the lot of them.

Would you be OK with them if they said you had too much money in the bank and you needed to hand it over to the state?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Well, they are what the people of NJ elected. They do have an uncanny ability to change their spots after an election. 2018 should be interesting :worms:

Reactions: Sue Gremlin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Would you be OK with them if they said you had too much money in the bank and you needed to hand it over to the state?

Although I don't know the full details, it may be more complicated than that. Operating as a major insurance carrier in a state may come with certain rules and obligations. I doubt the Governor would ask for that money unless he had some legal leg to stand on.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
To see cones in front of caranza memorial and cops sitting outside of pilgrim lake is a complete joke. Politicans should be completely embareassed for pulling this stunt on a holiday weekend. This makes me not even want to live in this state anymore.

Reactions: manumuskin