Powerful Story

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
We all heard the beginning of this story when it happened. This article is a powerful message to all of us to be careful in Delaware Bay. I'm especially concerned for Dottie and Scott, going out and digging clams (if in the bay).

You as well Al. And Chris. And all my buddies that go down there.

Reactions: dogg57 and Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Let's hope it does not thrive in the swamps of the barrens. We would really be in trouble.

A very interesting article.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
That is a horrific account Bob. Even though we don't clam the Delaware Bay, we do some of our crabbing in the summer in Dennis Creek which is a Delaware Bay tributary east of Matt's Landing..

Last summer we did most of our crabbing behind Stone Harbor and our clamming a little further south. I started thinking about the disease at the end of each crabbing excursion last summer because we are always getting cut or poked at some point in the day by a crab or the stiff wire that I cut to hold bunker chunks in the traps. I also clean our crabs live by stabbing them through the brain with a fixed blade knife, flipping them on their backs and popping the shells off with the knife. That operation is always good for a nick or two and I never wear gloves of any sort.

I suppose there are some things I could change but I think it would be impossible to ever be 100% protected.

Last edited: