Precipitation Records

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
HELP!
Been trying to locate precipitation records for Chatsworth area to use with botanical data we've been taking on Parker Preserve. Would like monthly totals for past 19 years. Have contacted NOAA in Westampton - zilch; suggested contacting Dr Robinson of Rutgers, state climatologist - very helpful, had suggestions, but didn't have the desired data (did have it for Pemberton and Indian Mills), talked with Bill Haines of Pine Island Cranerry Co, - very helpful but they don't keep precipitation records, suggested Dr. Oudemans of Rutgers Cranberry Research Station near Oswego Lake - no contact as yet; sent e-mail to Wunderground - no reply and as of 01 Jan 2017 they have deleted daily calendar records for Vincentown and Chatsworth.
Any ideas/suggestions?

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
MANY thanks, Boyd. I'll work with data from this site and see if it answers our needs.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The GIS data from that site is also very interesting. I have an unfinished project I called "Data in the Pines" that is an invisible overlay that can be used along with another map, such as my LIDAR map. When you click on any point in the map, it displays a bunch of data such as parcel info, soil type, elevation, hydro, pinelands classification, etc. I used the GIS data from that site to show total rainfall.

data.jpg

Maybe one day I will finish that map? Anyway, there is a wealth of hydro data available there that, if processed correctly, can be used to make some interesting maps. Of course, this can get rather complex though. :)

Last edited:

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Howdy Boyd: I am amazed at what you've done with mapping the Pines and even more, what you contemplate adding to it.
Professor Peter Oudemans at the P E Maucci Research Station on Oswego Lake Road provided me with the link to weather data for Oswego Lake (http://www.njweather.org/data/daily/317). I'm in the process of extracting precipitation data and recording total weekly and monthly amounts. When that's done it'll be compared with information about the water in the FPP borrow pit and see what kinda story results.
I'm amazed at the amount of work you've done on Pines mapping. THANKS!

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
The GIS data from that site is also very interesting. I have an unfinished project I called "Data in the Pines" that is an invisible overlay that can be used along with another map, such as my LIDAR map. When you click on any point in the map, it displays a bunch of data such as parcel info, soil type, elevation, hydro, pinelands classification, etc. I used the GIS data from that site to show total rainfall.

View attachment 8504

Maybe one day I will finish that map? Anyway, there is a wealth of hydro data available there that, if processed correctly, can be used to make some interesting maps. Of course, this can get rather complex though. :)
Is the NJ Pinelands Commission interested in what you have been able to create/compile? From an environmental planning perspective in conjuction with the CMP it would seem to add some very helpful information.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Is the NJ Pinelands Commission interested in what you have been able to create/compile?

If they are, they never said so. ;)

Much of the information used in that map comes from NJDEP datasets, there's some interesting stuff here: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/gis/stateshp.html

Thanks for the kind words!

[edit]Here's another source that I used, lots of cool stuff: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/njgs/geodata/

You need GIS software to access most of this data. qGIS is a free open source program that should be able to open the files, it runs on Windows, MacOS and even Android. It can get rather complicated though. :) http://www.qgis.org/en/site/

Last edited:

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Professor Peter Odemans of the Rutgers P E Marucci Research station on Lake Oswego Road very kindly sent me the web address for Lake Oswego weather records. I'm in the process of compiling weekly precipitation for the past 5 years from this data set. Then it will be compared with the scanty records we kept of water level in the FPP Borrow Pit we've been monitoring to see what if anything of interest emerges. Many thanks to all who responded to my original "Help!" message here.