Price and Carty

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Hi all! I am doing a genealogical project and am trying to find some local history. I am looking for history on my old mans family. His last name is Carty and his mom's family can be traced backed to the late 1700's with the name Price in Atlantic county. His dad's last name is Carty and I have not found anything around our area before the second World War. I have done a lot of research and found only the Price angle which also includes French, Ireland and Conover (Conahaven or the like). Does anyone have any insight on any of those families or specifically the Carty family name????? Any info is appreciated!

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
Hi Gipsie , There was a Carty family in Atlantic county , probably Egg Harbor Township .There was also a Carty family associated with Florence /Mansfield . There is also a Dr Carty in Bordentown .The Carty family is substantially more common up in Northern NJ , Bergen County to be exact ( Where I grew up ). The Carty's are also some how related to the Shreve Family . University of DE has some good data . /http://www.lib.udel.edu/ud/spec/findaids/pdf/mss0507.pdf Shreve is of English derivation , Carty is Irish . The English /Irish / Scottish /Welsh surnames can be a "tricky " and frustrating .My last name for instance is O'Connor . There are about 6 different ways to spell it .Some ancestors just dropped the O' or the Mc depending on the name or the religion , etc . The Carty surname could have been McCarty or Macarthy , etc . Hope this helps !
Joe

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The Price name in EHT is somewhat infamous.
Price's Pit on Sawmill Road is one of the nastiest Federal Surerfund sites in New Jersey and will probably never be totally remediated.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Very helpful Joe! Thank you...I will let you know how I make out....

Scott, I know about Prices Pit, my old man told me about it years ago, but he has no idea if they are the same family. I am guessing they probably are. After looking at the limited surnames that were in this area way back when, chances are good they share a common limb on the old family tree....