Primitive Penn State Forest, A PBX Hike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

On September 27 all members of PBX received this edited email from Bob concerning our next PBX hike.

Boys, this summer’s heat and humidity has been a monster to me, gobbling me up! I need a crisp, colorful fall day with friendly companions for this exploration.

On Oct 28, Saturday morning, at 9 AM, we’ll meet at the fork of Chatsworth Road and Stave Road. This area in eastern Penn State Forest is elemental pine barren land. No frills here. This is the Pine Barrens your mother warned you to never enter. It’ll beat you up!

Why is it that the small settlement of Penn Place never made it? They got out for their sanity. They’d never expected it to be this barren…this bleak and silent land. But that’s why I love it!

Let me know if you are game to go.

Happy trails my Pine Barren Brothers……….bob

This morning at 9AM we all assembled at the intersection mentioned above. Participating from this website were:

Teegate (Me) as well as Jessica
Bobpbx
Lost Town Hunter
Hewey
RednekF350 and his better half Dottie
Manantico
Smokejumper
Oji
And Mark

This would be the first time my new vehicle would travel down a dirt road, most likely since it was built. I picture a little old lady taking it for a Sunday drive in years past.

IMG_1009a.jpg

One of our first stops has some sort of history to it. I was looking over the 1951 aerials on HistoricAerials and noticed that sometime between 1931 and 1951 someone in the middle of the woods dug trenches as if to build a bog or collect water. We decided to check it out as we passed through. There are no roads to this and it appears there never was. Someone really spent some time working on this.

1951.jpg

And here is what we found today. We were able to walk much of what you see in the 1951 aerial above.

IMG_1018a.jpg

Resting and shooting the breeze.

IMG_1020a.jpg

One of the many nice places Bob picked for us to visit. Very nice!

IMG_1031a.jpg

Ted Gordon taking up the rear.

IMG_1032a.jpg

The landing gear from the crash at Bear Swamp Hill was along our route so we stopped in to show those who have not visited before. It is interesting to note that it was 15 years and one week ago that I took Bob and others there on the day I first met Bob. (!0/19/2002)

IMG_1034a.jpg

A short travel on the main road between waypoints along our route.

IMG_1035a.jpg

Jessica taking the front as we follow behind.

IMG_1038a.jpg

Our tracks for the day.

route.jpg

Everyone rated this hike very high as it is an area not well explored and the trash was non existent. During our day in the woods we saw one motorcyle and a female Conservation Officer most likely out checking on bow hunters. A perfect PBX explore.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looks like you better make sure the hatch on that submarine is closed.