Primitive Tools Area

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
Hi all,
I was out on a casual ride with my buddy and we came upon this area. We had found it years ago but had forgotten about it until Sunday when we drove by the area.
The area is on the trail that you would take from Washington towards Soy Pit. I cannot find the link for the website that labels the trails in the Pine Barrens but I did find a map program on NJDEP called i-map and I believe it labeled the road Hayes. If you take Washington Road from Batsto into Washington and make a right at the intersection that would take you to the ruins wall (on the right) you would make the next right and follow that out for about 2 miles. This trail exits onto Rt 563 and is closer to that end of the trail.

This location is on the right. Approximately 3 years or so ago when we found it on a night excursion the "Primitive Tools Area" sign was nailed between two trees about 20 or so feet up. Upon investigation the other day it is now on the ground and there are several arrows in the left side tree that has the chair at the bottom. The weird thing is that the arrows come from the road area but are very straight in the tree so I am guessing they were not shot from a road level. Also some trees have hooks screwed into them and there is a light at the top of the tree with the arrows found in them. The power cord for the light is wrapped around the sign on the ground.
My question is does anyone know about the history of this place or use of this location? I appreciate any information on the subject.
Thanks in advance.
I will get a better pic of the sign next time. I posted the pics in my folder because they won't upload here.

Kevin

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Hmm, sounds interesting. I go by that area every few weeks, so I'll have to check it out next time. Almost sounds like an activity station for campers, or something like that.

On the arrows, remember that they don't fly straight. If you shoot at an upward angle from some distance away the arrow could very well be parallel to the ground when it struck the trunk.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was down that road three weekends in a row in January and did not see anything.

Guy

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
Hmm, sounds interesting. I go by that area every few weeks, so I'll have to check it out next time. Almost sounds like an activity station for campers, or something like that.

On the arrows, remember that they don't fly straight. If you shoot at an upward angle from some distance away the arrow could very well be parallel to the ground when it struck the trunk.

Yea there are alot of walking style paths away from there. I thought it may be an area that people practiced using arrows in the woods.
I am not that familiar with arrows but I would guess that the close proximity to the road would not give them a lot of time to reach a level parallel to the ground. I can see how they would hit and the tail end would move up upon impact. They are pretty close together for a tree that is not the big around so maybe someone just climbed the tree and stuck them in lol :D. It would go along with how that light became attached to the tree.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
I was don't that road three weekends in a row in January and did not see anything.

Guy

I have been down that road myself several times over the past few years and driven past and not paid attention to it. It is not a road, it is basically a cutoff to the right that ends about 20 yards in. It is not deep and you could drive by real easy. You look for a cutoff to the right and you will see 2 trees side by side and that is the area. I am going back out and will try to get more accurate directions next time.

Kevin

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Looking at the pics you put up, it does seem a rather eclectic mix of stuff. The arrow arrangement is strange, as is the light "fixture". Hopefully just harmless junk, a product of someone's boredom. I would have thought the Hay Bale a target for the arrows. Gosh, I've got a few of those green chairs myself. Most of the other stuff looks somewhat dated.
Pay the place a visit now & then. See if it changes. Keep us posted. (so to speak)

g.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
Looking at the pics you put up, it does seem a rather eclectic mix of stuff. The arrow arrangement is strange, as is the light "fixture". Hopefully just harmless junk, a product of someone's boredom. I would have thought the Hay Bale a target for the arrows. Gosh, I've got a few of those green chairs myself. Most of the other stuff looks somewhat dated.
Pay the place a visit now & then. See if it changes. Keep us posted. (so to speak)

g.

Yes I agree it is an eclectic group of stuff. I would think the same of the hay bale but it on the ground and close to the path, no great challenge to hit although I am sure I would have a hard time lol. I am not sure why or what the light fixture would be used for or powered for that matter but it is there along with an electric cord. You would need and awfull long extension cord though.
I will continue to watch this area and provide updates.