Proposed natural gas pipeline through the NJPB's?

cranbrake

Scout
Jun 3, 2009
Below is a link to what I just found out is a propsed natural gas pipeline that would travel, at least partially, through the pinelands, and ending at Beesly's point in Cape May county. Can anyone here share more about anything about this, esp. the proposed right-of-way/ line of disturbance-? I haven't seen a map of it but that would be ideal. This would be pretty huge and I can't imagine this getting passed for construction to commence on this.
I work directly on the environmental side of pipeline projects identical to this. I can tell you they are fucking monstrosities, best way I can describe the process is that the land gets absolutely raped in the process- it's brutal. The average joe has no idea, as the actual construction process gets zero media exposure. To see this in the barrens or anywhere close to it would completely blow my mind.
I can't see it happening, but if the pinelands commission were to green light this they would lose every shred of credibilty from an environmental perspective, and rightly so. Hopefully this gets shot down but it sure caught my attention and thought I'd share it here.
If you dont trust the link or whatever, I pasted the main portion of the actual article below the link....

http://www.phillyburbs.com/00redesi...cle_0cd51b91-1f26-541e-8ae8-71e185ec6c57.html

"........One must wonder why the Pinelands Commission is considering granting permission to South Jersey Gas to install a pipeline through this pristine, precious land. Already, half of the Pinelands has been lost to development, while the rest of it is endangered from the pressure of off-road vehicles, further development and now this.

Forbidden under the Comprehensive Management Plan, a variance would have to be granted to allow the pipeline, whose purpose is to carry fracked, liquid gas to repower the B.L. England power plant in Beesley’s Point, Upper Township, Cape May County. The pipeline is 22 miles long, 24 inches in diameter — 15 miles of which will run through designated Forest Area, Rural Development Area and Village Area. It will be sunk in some places to a depth of 4 feet and to 60 feet where it will run under two ponds, a river, a creek and wetlands.

Since this project is a violation of the Comprehensive Management Plan, why should the Pinelands Commission allow it? Why should the governor approve it?

Does it benefit the Pinelands and those dependent upon it, including ourselves? It is not reasonable to assume that in its lifetime, this wretched pipeline will never rupture, crack or leak and spill its poison into the pure Kirkwood-Cohansey Aquifer — the source of drinking water for wildlife and thousands of people. We cannot expect the increasingly fragile Pinelands will be safe. Google “pipeline incidents or accidents” and view in horror the list that emerges.

Why is the Pinelands Commission refusing to hear testimony about the environmental impact of the pipeline from an independent scientist, a restoration ecologist who has offered his services free of charge?

The profit motive is not enough for us to risk certain damage to a national treasure that once lost can never be restored. The damage wrought by construction alone, even if all goes right, will cause irreparable harm. There are other ways to get power to the B.L. England power plant, some using sustainable, alternative fuels. There are even pipeline routes that would avoid the Pinelands.

A treasure unlike any other has been entrusted to the Pinelands Commission, the governor and all of us to protect for our children and those who will follow them. The pitch pines, orchids, sundews, tree frogs — all creatures of the Pinelands and all who care about them — cry out to you: “Hear our pleas and say no to the pipeline. The Pinelands sustain us body and soul and could be lost forever at the stroke of a pen.”

If you have questions about this issue or want to attend meetings to express your concerns, visit the Pinelands Commission website, www.state.nj.us/pinelands/, and the Pinelands Preservation Alliance, www.pinelandsalliance.org, to learn about the effects of the pipeline and what you can do. "

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Below is a copy of a letter I hand delivered to the Pinelands Commission offices this afternoon and to PPA Headquarters shortly later.
34 Mayfair Road
Southampton, NJ 08088-1015
fone: 609-859-4011
e-mail: jbornho664@comcast.net
The New Jersey Pinelands Commission
15 Springfield Road
New Lisbon, NJ 08064
Gentlemen and Ladies:
Subject: An Application to Construct a Gas Pipeline through the Pinelands Forest Management Area
Voting members of the Pinelands Commission will soon come to the point where they will have to put their resolve, their reputation to their ultimate test: casting their vote.
They need to remember that they swore an oath to uphold, among other things, the Pinelands Comprehensive Management Plan. They did not take an oath to improve electricity rates for a group of people outside the Pinelands. They did not take an oath to provide additional (although only temporary) jobs in the Pinelands, or anywhere else. They did not take an oath to help a for-profit company located outside the Pinelands. They most certainly did not take an oath to sell part of the Pinelands to enable a forbidden project. These members should remember there are words like “responsibility”, “courage”, “honor” that come into play at times like these. Commission voting members are responsible to all the people of New Jersey and the United States, and most definitely NOT to just those who appointed them, or members of the New Jersey government.
Those who would vote to approve the pipeline project will have forever branded themselves as among those whose oath is worthless, whose approval can be bought, as one who is an enemy of the Pines and not it’s protector, as one who believes the ends justify the means, as one who favors alleged present time advantages over their responsibility to preserve a natural heritage for the long term, as a coward in the face of pressure.
If these members have strong emotions beyond those to preserve the Pines, then they should apply them to seeking alternatives to the proposed pipeline violation. Those alternatives should include the application of the proposed $8 million bribe towards the cost of an alternative solution.
The members were appointed to preserve the Pines, not to find rationalizations that would justify approving violations that claim to be in the public’s interest.
Violation approvals are sought because of economics. Economics have no place in decisions affecting the preservation of the Pinelands.
Once this proposed violation is approved and the construction begun, it can never be reversed nor mitigated. It took thousands and millions of years to create the Pinelands; but only minutes, hours, or days to destroy them, forever. Once they are physically disturbed they cannot be restored to their original condition.
All the arguments and statements for violating the regulations regarding protecting the Pinelands are properly categorized by a vulgar but very descriptive vulgarity.
It’s really simple: just say “NO”.
Sincerely,

John W. Bornholdt
cc: Editor, “The Burlington County Times”
Editor, “The Trenton Times”
Pinelands Preservation Alliance

JerseyG

Nov 18, 2010
@johnnyb

Don't forget that Chris Christie is all for this proposed pipeline. This, the governor who shoves the Sustainable Development (Agenda 21) scam down our throats. Apparently, filling your kiddie pool or watering your lawn in the Summer is destroying the environment for future generations, but building a giant petro-chemical transport system through the heart of the pines is eco-friendly. Why is there always one rule for the mega-corporations and government (public-private partnerships) and another for Ma and Pa trying to live the American dream on their quarter acre of unsustainable suburbia?

The Pinelands Commissioners have no say in this. The people who send big checks to our state senators' reelection campaign funds will be the ones deciding this issue. Christie will come down on whatever side of this issue his party bosses tell him to.

JG

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Let's hope that the Pinelands commissioners remember the oath they took and forsake any lingering thoughts they may have of loyalty to those who appointed them or who tried to persuade them to ignore their responsibilities.
The voices of 4 prior Governors should weigh heavily on them when they decided how to vote.
Note I said "should".......

JerseyG

Nov 18, 2010
Saw a Facebook entry that a South Jersey legislator is pushing hard to get the pipeline built - doesn't understand how application failed, etc. Here we go again.....

Legislator? I think 'lobbyist' would be a more accurate description of this corporate shill. If it wasn't a pipeline, they'd be pushing mandatory healthcare for dogs or the benefits of poisoned...errr...fluoridated water.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
What the hell does fracking have to do with this pipeline. Every article i read talks about the opposition to fracking and this project, how are the two related in regards to the pinelands?

JerseyG

Nov 18, 2010
What the hell does fracking have to do with this pipeline. Every article i read talks about the opposition to fracking and this project, how are the two related in regards to the pinelands?

It's called "disinformation." Irrational arguments are planted in "news" articles and in social media commentary in order to muddle the legitimate debate. A particular specialty of the local rag Atlantic County calls a Newspaper.