Pseudo-Amazon

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I always wish I had a computer that was expendable and could not get me in trouble if I clicked on the bait button (Update Now). I'm always dying to see what they are trying to do to me.

1588808748797.png

1588808587379.png

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Always check the email address of the sender. If it's bogus, flag it as spam and report it.

Here is one I received and reported, obviously not from Amazon. DO NOT TRY IT!

Amazon.com ‍<noreply-isusu-kuku-ecs-2020-3211571512164261 @ anjir-tx1 . c o m>

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I always throw them in the junk spam pile. Some guy named Stan made it to the list of people who like bland home stuff like textiles, closet organizers, swimsuits, and linen, and his email was likely close to mine, so through some error I am now on the list. No matter what I do or how many times I block them a different vendor of that kind of crap sends me another email fishing for business.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I receive covid19 updates from the Senator from Washington state. I let him know I live on the right coast, not the left, but he must not comprehend that and keeps them coming. For those ad guys, my email allows me to create rules for incoming emails and automatically deletes them. I must have billions of dollars waiting for me in multiple countries from folks that just want to give it to me if I respond to them :D

Reactions: Wick

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I always throw them in the junk spam pile. No matter what I do or how many times I block them a different vendor of that kind of crap sends me another email fishing for business.
Same here, always block junk thinking that eventually, it will run out, HA, wishful thinking. I continue getting the same junk but with a different web address. The addresses are computer-generated often from the same company and they're limitless. Sometimes it's from a different spam company and the process starts over again.
I don't know near as much computer/internet workings as many of you, but I have learned this is the new gold rush, called data mining. All of us have info of one sort or another out there somewhere whether we want it or not. These data-mining companies scan the internet and collect every bit of info they can about you and then sell it to the spam companies. Facebook is the worst of the worse but that's not saying anything good about any of the social media giants. Just keep in mind nothing is as it appears and nothing is FREE!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I think a 13th year of high school should be added. Forget all the reading, writing, and arithmetic. Some of the subjects should be
(I created this list):

--No, don't click that button.
--No, don't answer that number.
--This is how you make out a check.
--This is how you greet other humans.
--This is how you show up for a job interview.
--This is how to find the best quality product when you shop.
--This is what a 401K is, This is what an IRA is (Roth especially). This is how you save. This is a must course.
--This is the nature of stocks and bonds. Avoid these pitfalls.
--These are the taxes you will be subject to. No, don't avoid paying them.
--This is what to look for when buying a house.
--This is how you approach hiring an attorney.
--This is how you respond to the police pulling you over.
--This is how you navigate charities to ensure they are legit.
--How to keep out of trouble with credit cards.
--What is debt, and how to avoid it.
--Choosing a college. Hint (1): they are not beer gardens. Hint (2): Avoid high costs and lengthy loans.
--Choose a profession based upon what you like, and what your aptitude tells you that you are good at.
--This is a gun. This is how you treat it, how you shoot it, and how you store it.
--Life is hard. There are seniors who've been through it. Use them for information on big decisions.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Facebook is the worst of the worse

They are bad, but IMO, Google is the worst of the worst. Their entire business revolves around learning as much as they can about you and using it for the benefit of their advertising business. And they're everywhere. They developed Android and their software products are the core of what's on Android phones. Everytime you do a Google search, use the Chrome Browser, Google Earth, Google Maps, use Gmail, watch a YouTube video or go to the Play store.... Google is watching. And they never forget. They're right here too, every time you use NJPB maps.

Google has a little voodoo doll of you sitting on the shelf, and they keep sticking pins into it just to see what happens.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Some good sites and free software versionsI use to keep the wolves at bay. I have had no issues with them for Win 7 or Win 10; your use may vary. Always proceed with caution.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I really get very little spam these days, and almost no telemarketing calls. The spam is mostly from companies where I registered awhile ago, but am no longer interested. I use my cell phone exclusively, but my Verizon FIOS plan includes a hard line that I've never used (you have to get this in order to get the best internet package price). Wouldn't be surprised if that number is constantly bombarded with telemarketers, since it's in the phone book. Couldn't care less.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Bob
You're showing your age. We like to think so, but were we any different at that age? We knew everything too.

Boyd
You hate Android, is Apple any better? really? As mentioned nothing is ever free and yes there are things we pay for the privilege to be spied on.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I don't hate Android, I have an Android tablet. Google developed the operating system, based on Linux (which was ripped off from unix, originally created by Bell Labs). The Android operating system is open source code, which means anybody can take it, change whatever they like and call it their own. But the commonly used apps mentioned above are Google products, and they're all free because their purpose is harvesting data about you.

Yes, I think Apple is better. I got my first Apple computer in 1978 and I'm also a moderator at MacRumours.com, the largest Apple site (aside from the company itself). I have plenty of complaints about the company, and it became considerably less cool after Steve Jobs died. Have never been a fan of Tim Cook. However, I trust them much more with my privacy than Google. Apple is not in the business of selling your personal information, they just want to sell their own products to you. OTOH, Google's business is finding out everything they can about you and using it to target you for marketing.

You are absolutely right, "nothing is ever free", that's a primary reason why Apple's products are generally more expensive. :D

Reactions: Teegate

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob
You're showing your age. We like to think so, but were we any different at that age? We knew everything too.

You have a good point. But my stepdad stood on the porch steps with his hand on his hips while I was working on my motorcycle, and fresh out of high school and said: "Go get a job". There was no money or encouragement for college. And his life skills were lacking. I had to learn the hard way. But I think it would be fun to make my own personal notes to each of these, so here goes:

--No, don't click that button. (what button? No computers then.)
--No, don't answer that number. (back then telemarketers were sparse or non-existent, and no caller ID)
--This is how you make out a check. (I had somebody show me).
--This is how you greet other humans. (I was okay at this out of high school, but not great).
--This is how you show up for a job interview. (I did my best. I had shabby clothes back then, but I had a gung-ho attitude).
--This is how to find the best quality product when you shop. (back then it was word of mouth or a magazine I could not afford).
--This is what a 401K is, This is what an IRA is (Roth especially). This is how you save. This is a must course. (Had to learn myself)
--This is the nature of stocks and bonds. Avoid these pitfalls. (Tried to learn during dot.com pre-bubble, but an elder gentleman talked me into mutual funds. It was good advice. But boy I wish I would have bought Microsoft in 1990 (if they were incorporated then).
--These are the taxes you will be subject to. No, don't avoid paying them. (I didn't know until I saw my first paycheck).
--This is what to look for when buying a house. (I went in blind. I wish I knew better, but I still paid under the asking price).
--This is how you approach hiring an attorney. (Went in blind when stepfather passed. Main thing learned: pick one in the appropriate field).
--This is how you respond to the police pulling you over. (I was scared shitless when they did, and didn't make stupid moves, so I survived!).
--This is how you navigate charities to ensure they are legit. (finally found Charity Navigator online).
--How to keep out of trouble with credit cards. (Had to learn the hard way).
--What is debt, and how to avoid it. (went in blind, but my frugal nature kept me out of trouble.)
--Choosing a college. Hint (1): they are not beer gardens. Hint (2): Avoid high costs and lengthy loans. (didn't go until 20 years later)
--Choose a profession based upon what you like, and what your aptitude tells you that you are good at. (I wish I had gone to college and followed that rule).
--This is a gun. This is how you treat it, how you shoot it, and how you store it. (Only knew because stepfather and a friend showed me).
--Life is hard. There are seniors who've been through it. Use them for information on big decisions. (Yeah, do that next time).

Reactions: old jersey girl

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
I had to look up when 401k's started (1978, not popular until early 80's)
I remember when my company said they were freezing pension plan and starting 401 and everyone was like wait what???
Edit... And my mother said You WILL contribute at least what the company matches

Pulled over when I was young giving the boss a ride home
Getting reg & ins out of glove box and they fell between seat and center console.
I reached down, cop on pass side stepped back and took aim, my boss soiled his pants LoL

I was frugal too and never got into credit trouble
Hope my kids are the same, I try and explain but everything moving to credit makes it easy to get into trouble

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx
I don't hate Android, I have an Android tablet. Google developed the operating system, based on Linux (which was ripped off from unix, originally created by Bell Labs). The Android operating system is open source code, which means anybody can take it, change whatever they like and call it their own. But the commonly used apps mentioned above are Google products, and they're all free because their purpose is harvesting data about you.

Yes, I think Apple is better. I got my first Apple computer in 1978 and I'm also a moderator at MacRumours.com, the largest Apple site (aside from the company itself). I have plenty of complaints about the company, and it became considerably less cool after Steve Jobs died. Have never been a fan of Tim Cook. However, I trust them much more with my privacy than Google. Apple is not in the business of selling your personal information, they just want to sell their own products to you. OTOH, Google's business is finding out everything they can about you and using it to target you for marketing.

You are absolutely right, "nothing is ever free", that's a primary reason why Apple's products are generally more expensive. :D

Let's rephrase that---I distrust Apple less.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
However, I trust them much more with my privacy than Google. Apple is not in the business of selling your personal information, they just want to sell their own products to you.

I subscribe to Louis Rossman, who has a computer repair Youtube channel. Apple is dishonest to an amazing degree. They will not fix a phone except for battery and screen. Employees at the "Genius Bar" consistently tell customers the cost of a Macbook repair exceeds the value of the Macbook. Rossman fixes Macbooks that Apple has estimated a $1200 repair for $40.

They are in the business of selling new products, and have no interest in fixing old units. And they will not license independent repair shops for Apple repairs. They have become pirates preying on their customers. Their business practices are predatory and dishonest.

I've bought a succession of Apple computers since 1992, many iPhones and Macbooks for family. I loved their OS and I think Jobs was a greater visionary than Thomas Edison. I am astounded that since Jobs death they continue to thrive and grow, especially since product innovation died with Jobs.

They are pretty good on privacy though.

Reactions: old jersey girl