Public Service Announcement

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
:siren: :siren: :siren:
If your headed to the woods this weekend, bring a hard hat. The acorns are falling at a steady pace. I have seen a couple bounce at least 6 ft off the deck :eek:

Reactions: dogg57

PineClark

Jun 9, 2017
Manalapan
:siren: :siren: :siren:
If your headed to the woods this weekend, bring a hard hat. The acorns are falling at a steady pace. I have seen a couple bounce at least 6 ft off the deck :eek:

Funny you should say that. I was in my back yard and I kept hearing them dropping on everything from the tree in my front yard.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
My son just bought a house in Winslow, surrounded by large chestnut oaks. Moving between truck and house as we work on renovations is a downright hazard right now!

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They slam on the roof of my car sitting at red lights in Haddonfield. I would hate to have one hit me in the head.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
A few have hit my windshield while driving pretty fast - scared the #$@% out of me. I guess they are too soft to actually break a windshield but the sound is incredible.

Reactions: smoke_jumper

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
A few have hit my windshield while driving pretty fast - scared the #$@% out of me. I guess they are too soft to actually break a windshield but the sound is incredible.
I had one fall through my sunroof years ago. It bounced everywhere!!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
It must be another masting year. I think we had one two or three years ago. What amazes me is the geographical extent of a mast, covering most of the pines it seems.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Today's public service announcement is: "Watch out for squirrels!". :D

Driving about 40 miles on back roads in Atlantic/Cape May Counties this morning I had five separate close calls with squirrels running across the road. They are everywhere down here today!

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Funny you should mention the squirrels ... I have also had close calls recently. They dash partly across the road, then seem to quickly decide they can't make it and turn around and dash back. I have also see the remains of some that didn't make it. Haven't hit one yet though.