pueblan milksnake

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
not exactly pines related, but it is a snake, a pueblan milksnake i got about a year and a half ago, not exactly the best picture, but its something

Attachments

• DCFN0016.JPG
    DCFN0016.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 259

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
:confused: From that pic it looks more like your snake is an annulata or celaenops than it does a pueblan. It's hard from the pic to tell without seeing the head better.

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Awesome snake! I haven't had many pet snakes, some corn snakes, rat snakes, ball python.... got rid of em though (sold them). I'm reconsidering getting a pet snake for good though- maybe a western hognose

Speaking of snakes, i'm sure nobody found any today, or will tomorrow. It was in the high 90's low 100's today!!!

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
well, i think thats what the paper said in the pet shop, but i saw a pic of a pueblan milksnake and it looked similar, so i thought it might be that, honduras also rang a bell, oh well, you guys would know better than me anyway, so ill just go with what you guys think, but ya hes a really good pet, superb eater, you cant feed him enough, he eats 3 pinkies a meal, but im sure he could eat more, he is just fine being handled too. he stays still for his pics too, they make great pets

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
The white bands do look a little narrow and white to be a L. t. campbelli (Pueblan), but those characters could vary a lot. I found a snake very much like that under a board in the Barrens in 1959, near Bamber Lake (I was 8). The naturalist at the camp I was attending started dancing and jumping when I showed him the snake (even then I knew about "red touch yellow" so I wasn't worried about handling it). It was a scarlet snake, Cemophora coccinea, one of very few that had been found in the Barrens up to then. Cool stuff for an eight-year old. That snake and the enormous rattler I found in the washroom at the camp that same summer pretty much clinched my career choice as a scientific herpetologist.

I've written quite a bit about my experience at Camp Columbus (at Bamber Lake) elsewhere in this forum, if anyone is interested.

Sean Barry

swwit said:
:confused: From that pic it looks more like your snake is an annulata or celaenops than it does a pueblan. It's hard from the pic to tell without seeing the head better.