Pygmy Pines?

virgos

Explorer
Mar 25, 2007
Where is the best place, if only place to view these areas. I have driven northeast of Oswego Lake. There they were just a bit too high to look over. I've also driven west past Carannza Memorial. They aren't the short pines. Where are all the pictures taken?

Ken

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Guy has just given you the location of spring hill plains.the smallest and most isolated area of plains and the wildest in my opinion.The shortest trees and the largest area of plains are between 539 and the warren grove bombing range.Most of this area is WMA and public land.drive south on 539 from warren grove and you"ll pass right through this area.drive the road west to the bombing range and you"ll get a good vies of the plains and beautiful governors pond.this is a 2 wheel road.drive any of the sand roads through this area.most can be done in 2 wheel with a good clearance vehicle but the intersections are a bit sandy and might be 4 wheel turf.the area was burnt a couple years back and still shows it.east of 539 is a more recent burn and their are some nice plains views over there too.I would suggest you go to this area on sunday since their not bombing then.the planes sneak up on you and scare the fur out of you and their very annoying too at least from my perspective.Their what routinely cause the fires in the first place not that fire is bad but irresponible behavior is.
Another littled visited section of plains is here
lat
Al

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
The shortest trees and the largest area of plains are between 539 and the warren grove bombing range. ...I would suggest you go to this area on sunday since their not bombing then.the planes sneak up on you and scare the fur out of you and their very annoying too at least from my perspective.

Alfie,

Do they bomb with the planes when it rains in the plains in Warren Grove?

Yours,
Bill

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I don't think they are bombing again since the fire. As of a few weeks ago there were not.

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
My favorite dwarf pine area in the pine barrens, far and away, is Spring Hill. Maybe because these seem more "far and away" from civilization.

I think my favorite dwarf pines on this planet (not that I've seen that many) are on Sam's Point Preserve in the Shawangunk Mountains in New York State. I'm going to toss a not-so-great-quality picture of these at the bottom here (apologies ahead of time for posting a non NJ Pine Barren photo here), only to encourage pine lovers to make the trip there someday. I'm the ugly human in the photo, a dwarf among the dwarves, and the Catskills lie over my shoulders. Sam's Point is one of the most beautiful places I've been -- again, the photo hardly does this place justice and represents a small chunk within a sea of pygmies.

samspoint.jpg

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
My favorite dwarf pine area in the pine barrens, far and away, is Spring Hill. Maybe because these seem more "far and away" from civilization.

I think my favorite dwarf pines on this planet (not that I've seen that many) are on Sam's Point Preserve in the Shawangunk Mountains in New York State. I'm going to toss a not-so-great-quality picture of these at the bottom here (apologies ahead of time for posting a non NJ Pine Barren photo here), only to encourage pine lovers to make the trip there someday. I'm the ugly human in the photo, a dwarf among the dwarves, and the Catskills lie over my shoulders. Sam's Point is one of the most beautiful places I've been -- again, the photo hardly does this place justice and represents a small chunk within a sea of pygmies.

samspoint.jpg

Very nice Bill,
do you recall the size of that dwarf forest?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I always wanted to go there, to the shawgunks. I heard there are many timber rattlers in that area though.

Lets go saturday. I'll drive, but I don't have air in my car.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I always wanted to go there, to the shawgunks. I heard there are many timber rattlers in that area though.

Lets go saturday. I'll drive, but I don't have air in my car.

Al and I have been on a pair of one-day trips the the 'gunks -- the first to Minnewaska State Park Preserve (which is beautiful, as well) and later to Sam's Point Preserve. This makes for a long, rigorous day, as the roundtrip alone is 8 hours. Sam's Point is less suited to the general public, hence, less traffic and no bicycles; the trails are rougher, wilder, but offer beauties just as fine as Minnewaska's and it's much easier to focus on the subtleties. When I took my family, we simply hiked to Verkeerder Falls (extraordinary!), but to see the ridgetop dwarves, it's best to use the trail from Sam's Point's access past the falls and to connect soon after with the High Point Trail, which can be used as a nice, if lengthy, loop trail back to the day's starting point. This trail is exceptional; it's exposed, requires a lot of rock climbing along the ridge and culminates in a long straightaway that gives one the sense that it's heading toward something very special. It is. The hiker breaks out into the huge ridgetop dwarf-pine forest with views 360.

Jeff -- in response to your question about the size of the dwarf forest -- I'm trying to remember here. It's been a couple of years. The size is enough to impress the heck out of one, I'll say that. We had to be back at the entrance station by 5pm that day, which was when the park was closing. I remember taking a good look around, being mightily impressed, and wishing I had much more time to take in all I was seeing. Also, there is plenty of dwarfage closer to the access and along the beautiful ridge-side walk to the waterfall.

I'd like to return to the area during the fall color changes. I've seen some brush-foilage photos of this area that have knocked me sideways.

Bill

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Hmm. I guess I'll do a drive up on a friday, poke around getting my bearings, and stay in a hotel, then hike and return the next day...........