Pyramids along the water

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
I was out canoeing on the Rancocas creek this afternoon and saw several pyramid shaped piles along the banks. (sorry no pics see Oswego trip report LOL) The piles appeared to be composed of leaves, dirt and mud. Some were as large as 3 feet diameter at the base.
Does anyone have a clue what would build these?
I was thinking maybe turtles, ducks, or geese made them?...........Mike

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
I was out canoeing on the Rancocas creek this afternoon and saw several pyramid shaped piles along the banks. (sorry no pics see Oswego trip report LOL) The piles appeared to be composed of leaves, dirt and mud. Some were as large as 3 feet diameter at the base.
Does anyone have a clue what would build these?
I was thinking maybe turtles, ducks, or geese made them?...........Mike

Mike:
What part of the Rancocas where you on? Sounds like they may have
been beaver lodges. There are many of them on the Mullica where the
river widens between Atsion and the Mullica R. campsite.

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
Yes, those Egyptian muskrats have been showing up all over the Pine Barrens!

Seriously, were they really shaped like pyramids, or were they just piles of mud and vegetation?

Their not an exact pyramid (no flat sides). They were constructed as if a funnel of varying sizes was used as a mold.

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
Their not an exact pyramid (no flat sides). They were constructed as if a funnel of varying sizes was used as a mold.

I think you are on the right track with muskrats, but I would like to see a photo to be sure. Better yet, next time you are there, put your ear real close to the structure and see if you can hear anything in there that sounds like the Captain and Tennille.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Sorry, I couldn't resist it. That song actually makes me sick...

I rather liked it when America did it.
Must be the old softie in me.
Don'tcha know I'm such a peace, love, & happiness type.
Now if only Type O Negative would cover it like Summer Breeze. Hmmmmm.

g.