Quaker Bridge to Batsto

00xj54

Scout
May 2, 2006
I'm sure some one has done this trip before. Anything I need to know about it? BelHaven says it'll be about 3-4 hours. Is that right? Is this a diffcult trip? I asume the water is high enough.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I did it a Month ago when the water was lower and it took me more like 5 hours. I had to get out of the canoe only once.With the high water I think you will do fine. It is a really nice trip.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Water levels

My daughter and I want to kayak next week, either Quaker Bridge to Batsto or Oswego to Harrisville. Anyone know if the Oswego water levels are high enough? The're good on the Batsto.

Thanks

piker56 said:
My daughter and I want to kayak next week, either Quaker Bridge to Batsto or Oswego to Harrisville. Anyone know if the Oswego water levels are high enough? The're good on the Batsto.

Thanks

The Oswego is not usually good in the summer. Spring or fall is better. Do the Batsto from Quaker Bridge.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder if the PPA has a probem with that? Seems worse than any vehicle traffic.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
There is a lot of foot traffic there but I bet most of that is due to nature.

Steve

I agree. So lets ban nature.

Guy

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
BEHR655 said:
The Oswego is not usually good in the summer. Spring or fall is better. Do the Batsto from Quaker Bridge.

Steve

My daughter and I did Quaker Bridge to Batsto on Friday, what a perfect trip. I often fish the lower Batsto, starting at the lake and going upstream a little then drift fishing my way back, I had forgotten how nice the upper part was. We had a great trip.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
long-a-coming said:
did you see lots of turtles as you came around the many bends on that fine river?

Lot's of them. A lot of small painters. Some really large, smooth shelled turtles, I'm not sure what kind they were. All of them were really tame, they didn't splash into the water when we went past, just sat and watched us go past. Next trip I really need to carry a camera.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
piker56 said:
My daughter and I did Quaker Bridge to Batsto on Friday, what a perfect trip.

I am taking off every Monday from Next week until Mid October, making for 4 day work weeks. Aside from R&R, and getting some odds & ends done, this shall be one of my little "just for me" endeavors. Haven't done it since my CAMP-CANOE adventures of '92 & '93. Looking forward to a fall Monday where kids are at school and weekend folks are workin'. Perhaps I'll stumble on to another NJPB party along the way.

G.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Today

Did the Q/B to the Lake. Weather could not have been nicer for it. My dad took a ride to drop me off and for pick up. I wasn't shooting for any speed records but all in all it took me 3-1/2 hours exact point to point. The water on the upper river was really moving. That and a good breeze made for a trick or two around some turns. Water high enough for clearing obstacles but those trees around a bend that want to pluck you out of the canoe are a treat! Like always, every turn could be a pine barrens postcard.
I saw very little Animal activity till lower downriver. Then it seemed like everything that stuck out of the water had a turtle/turtles on it. Most of them didn't seem terribly bothered with my intrusion. Stopped to rest at the third beach and had a fun game of chase with a little swift. Felt like a little kid again. They are devilishly fast. And no I did not catch or hurt him.
Once on the upper lake proper I let the wind coast me into the tall grasses to reflect on the quiet. As it would, brother wind turned to my favor and got behind me on the lake and man did I move then. Barely had the paddle in the water. A beautiful Heron Spied on me from the grasses on my right and then nonchalantly flew in front of me and sat to my left to give me the watchful eye. I blew into the canoe landing at Batsto, readied the canoe for pickup and ate my lunch in quiet while waiting for my dad. Also filled the better part of a WaWa bag with trash. Hope some of my pics came out. My camera ain't so great and the ride was a little busy for shots.
The ride home was a nice chance to talk with dad. He enjoyed being my shuttle. This day, it's perfect temperature, it's beautiful sky, the river and the chance to take it's lovely air into my lungs was a treasure.

G.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice Largo! Glad you enjoyed your day, and thanks for the post.

Guy

4x4Jim

Scout
Jan 20, 2006
If im not mistaken that picture is an opening off of quakerbridge road...about half way down from atsion lake to the bridge on quakerbridge. Small swimming hold and the water is usually lower. Theres also a tree laying on the ground you can walk under.. Well looks like it anyway.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If im not mistaken that picture is an opening off of quakerbridge road...about half way down from atsion lake to the bridge on quakerbridge. Small swimming hold and the water is usually lower. Theres also a tree laying on the ground you can walk under.. Well looks like it anyway.

What picture are you refering too????

Guy