Quarter Mile Today

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica and I went to Quarter Mile today to check on the yellow orchids we found years ago. I had concerns they would not be growing because there has not been disturbance at this location and the vegetation is filling in. And it appears I was correct. We did not find them growing today. I am going to go there in the fall and cut the vegetation back in a 6 foot area and see what happens next year.

We did again find the one white orchid where it always grows. My photo is really poor.

DSC_4628a.jpg

It is dry as one would expect. We found water at two locations and it was a few inches deep. The fish are all dead.

The arrow points to one of them.

DSC_4637a.jpg

Do you know the fish?

DSC_4641a.jpg

The road parallel with the tracks is always flooded. Not today. No chiggers on this road unlike the tracks.

DSC_4615a.jpg

DSC_4610a.jpg

DSC_4608a.jpg

DSC_4607a.jpg

DSC_4605a.jpg

No water under this bridge.

DSC_4644a.jpg

We then went to the Morning Glory Jessica and I found years ago. They grow at basically two location here and this time nothing was at one of them. The site is better than some but not as good as others. But they are hanging on.

DSC_4647a.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I find them early on 7/11 and blooming this week at this location and others. We will try again next week maybe.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We visited another location today and they are starting to bloom. Not many there though. It is so dry that on one side of the road they are turning black. We saw maybe 8 of them.

DSC_4669b.jpg

This small pond is right along a road with really no quick access except walking a very short distance through the woods. Well hidden.

DSC_4664a.jpg

We could hear music in the distance deeper in the woods at 8AM this morning while at this one.

DSC_4663a.jpg

And we ventured to Bloody Ridge Road to add another photo to this "Then And Now."

abc.jpg