Question about Reeve's Bog and a cranberry bog off W. Whitesbogs Rd

summerbug23

May 21, 2007
New Brunswick, NJ
Hi everyone,

I study wildlife in old cranberry farms and I got lots of help from this forum about two years ago about the history of Friendship bogs. Now I have a few new questions that I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance!

I am trying to date a cranberry bog that locates a little west to the main part of Whitesbog farm. It's kind of in between "W. Whitesbogs Rd" and "Whitesbogs Rd" on google map. (See attachment). I am not sure if it's part of Whitesbog farms. The 1930 airphoto shows it was a pretty active farm then, but right now it is almost completely covered by forest. I was trying to find an access to this farm but couldn't find a road to get in that's not labeled "private". If it's part of the Whitesbog, does anyone happen to know when cranberry cultivation was terminated in this bog? I know the whitesbog was sold to the state in 1960s, but I heard the cultivation in some parts of the village remained active. Since the office of Lebanon state office has been officially closed, I don't know where to get more detailed information about the village and cranberry cultivation. If someone in this forum knows anything, it will be really really helpful.

Also, I am trying to confirm my knowledge about Reeve's Bog. I heard it was sold to the state by the Reeve's brothers around 1950-60s. Even though part of the farm is re-activated now, the majority of the cultivation stopped around 1950s. Is it correct?

Thanks a lot.

Ai

Attachments

• Whitesbogwest google.jpg
    Whitesbogwest google.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 421

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Reeves

Also, I am trying to confirm my knowledge about Reeve's Bog. I heard it was sold to the state by the Reeve's brothers around 1950-60s. Even though part of the farm is re-activated now, the majority of the cultivation stopped around 1950s. Is it correct?

Ai

Reeves Bogs (once known as Bear Hole) was started right around 1900 by William H. Reeves who cut the cedar and developed to bogs. The glory days of Reeves Bogs was probably the '20's and '30's. Apparently there were 150 acres of cranberries there at one time. William Reeves died in 1956. His sons may have run the operation for a while before selling to the State (date unknown). I believe that part of the property continues to be leased from the State by Jersey Devil Cranberries Inc. and is still actively farmed. I would think your belief that some bogs there became inactive in the late 50's - early 60's is correct. P.S. There was an enornous packing and sorting house there whose foundation is easly located.

Good Luck with Whitesbog.
Rich

summerbug23

May 21, 2007
New Brunswick, NJ
46er, Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I have thought about making an appointment with the preserve to look through the document. I wanted to post a thread on the forum just in case somebody knows so I can save a trip. I guess I shouldn't be so lazy!

Rich, Thank you very much for confirming my information! I have been poking around in the area to find information about the farm since there is probably no official source to learn about the history any more. I basically went there and tried to talk to people I ran across in the farm. Now you just added more confidence to my knowledge about Reeve's farm!

Best Regards,
Ai

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Summerbug, I was walking around there about a month ago. About a quarter mile outside the village on N. Whitesbog Rd. there is a small rise in the road where you can't see if a car is coming from the other direction, You will see a road to the left that leads into the woods. I parked my truck there and walked back a good distance without seeing any no trespassing signs.