question?

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
yesterday while working in a wooded section of toms river I found a velvet ant a.k.a. cow killer, a red and black wingless wasp that looks like it is coverd in fur, I have seen one in H.P. Boyds field guide of the pines but have never seen one before. has any one seen one or has been stung by one? my helper went to catch it, I told him not a good idea and explained what it was.
thanks, chris

Hewey said:
yesterday while working in a wooded section of toms river I found a velvet ant a.k.a. cow killer, a red and black wingless wasp that looks like it is coverd in fur, I have seen one in H.P. Boyds field guide of the pines but have never seen one before. has any one seen one or has been stung by one? my helper went to catch it, I told him not a good idea and explained what it was.
thanks, chris

I've seen one before but was never stung by one.

Steve

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
i've only found 3 velvet ants, i heard they give a good sting or bite but haven't found out from experience. i'm sure u can find out through google.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
They are really cool aren't they? I remember on summer, about 5 years back, it seemed like they were all over the place. I used to watch them hunt, amazing insects. I always saw them in the heat of the day running over beds of lichens. I was never stung/bit by one.

Jeff

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
woodjin said:
They are really cool aren't they? I remember on summer, about 5 years back, it seemed like they were all over the place. I used to watch them hunt, amazing insects. I always saw them in the heat of the day running over beds of lichens. I was never stung/bit by one.

Jeff
they are a wild looking insect, very cool. I saw this one in the heat of the day also. very quick, which was good for my helper or he would have been able to tell me what the sting felt like.
chris

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Bobbleton said:
i've never been stung, either. i say you let one sting you so we can all find out.
yea right, googled photos of the sting, the girls foot was swolen and all purple, looks real painful. I got stung in the back of the neck by a wasp that fell in the hood of my sweat shirt, no idea it was there until it got me,hurt very bad.