Questions about a spring and creek front condo

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Is this a spring? Looks like a spring that feeds the Batsto River. I don't want to talk location since I screwed up the photo and will be going back. There was no water source I could see other than crystal clear water bubbling up from the tree and moss, and a stream of water leading down to the river.

The second is a photo taken near a prominent creek. Looks to me like an abandoned camp, used for deer hunting? There was a blue tarp stowed under the "floor", maybe to keep out the rain. The last meal wrapping was left lying in the "kitchen". Is that a rusted chimney lying on the ground? Fascinating that someone went to this much trouble.

2020-05-01-creek-condo-njpb.jpg

2020-05-01-mountain-man-stew-njpb.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It is a grievous offense to do that to a Cedar tree.

In my mind, a spring is eternal. It comes from the aquifer. But you can call that a spring, if you like. I call those occurrences seeps, although even that definition is debatable when matched with your location. But, that's what I call it....a seep. Since that was the first time you have seen that one, there is doubt as to whether it's eternal or not. My bet and my best guess is that it's intermittent, an intermittent seep.

By the way, aren't they lovely? Don't you feel privileged to see it?

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
My bet and my best guess is that it's an intermittent seep. By the way, aren't they lovely?

Yes, it's very beautiful, and so is the spot. I was struck by the clarity of the water, and a similar spot a few hundreds yards away. By the time the stream merges with the Batsto, it's all tea colored cedar water flowing down to the Mullica.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I'm pretty sure Coleman stop making those meals about 10 years ago.

I just read the ingredients and it has everything but the meat. So I assuming these guys shot the deer, field dressed the deer, cut the meat into chunks, added the ingredients of the Coleman packet, and made venison stew in the woods. Now that's a real piney.

**EDIT** Or maybe not. Beef flavored TVP is a "meat analogue product". Yumsters.

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
**EDIT** Or maybe not. Beef flavored TVP is a "meat analogue product". Yumsters.

I read that particular product was the worst, Coleman pulled that one first and the rest followed. I have a couple of buckets from the Wise company, they sent a sample before we ordered. Very good stuff. Unbeknownst to them, we served their teriyaki chicken to some friends, they asked for the recipe :D

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I think I know of only three true springs in South Jersey.

I am still curious: where is all of that crystal clear water coming from? It is not cedar water, it is bubbling up from someplace. Underground? I looked behind the tree and for the most part it was just pitch pine and cedar forest. Calling Spungman.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Really?! No girl would have invented "Meal Ready to Eat". LOL

I just knew you would see my comment ! :)

I like to make broad generalizations. Mainly because it would take too long to be sensitive and accurate.
In my mind and in my my mind only perhaps, being a vegetarian is a girl thing. I have only known two vegetarians in my life and both were girls. So my math would indicate that 100% of vegetarians are women !

How do you know if someone is a vegan ?.......................................................... They'll tell you. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: old jersey girl

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I am still curious: where is all of that crystal clear water coming from? It is not cedar water, it is bubbling up from someplace. Underground? I looked behind the tree and for the most part it was just pitch pine and cedar forest. Calling Spungman.

It's ground water. When it rains, any water not caught in the duff percolates through sand. Do you realize what an excellent filter sand is? It's why they use it for swimming pools. Groundwater moves towards streams below the surface.

If the water underground is unconfined, you can have a water-table aquifer (or maybe better said, a reservoir). If it's under pressure, it can be classified an artesian aquifer. You can have a situation in the Pines where there is a clay strata not far below the surface. This can support a pressure head because the water has nowhere to go, and so flows downhill under the ground (and under some pressure) to your place of seepage, where the soil gives way to vegetation (sphagnum usually). See "Pine Barrens Ecosystem and Landscape, Edited by Richard Forman, 1979, Rutgers University Press, New Brunswick, New Jersey.

Edit: Jon, I read further on this. The Cohansey aquifer can be defined as a water table aquifer, so definitely can affect that spring or seep. I still think though, that in this time of the year, it may be flowing due to rains, but in periods of drought, it may turn off. The only way to know is monitor it in a drought.

Last edited:

I like to make broad generalizations. Mainly because it would take too long to be sensitive and accurate.
In my mind and in my my mind only perhaps, being a vegetarian is a girl thing. I have only known two vegetarians in my life and both were girls. So my math would indicate that 100% of vegetarians are women !

How do you know if someone is a vegan ?.......................................................... They'll tell you. :)

Only two vegans? Maybe here in the country! In more urban, densely populated areas, the vegans of both genders on the ground are more numerous. I get it; and If they insist on telling me I explain steak.

• Haha
Reactions: RednekF350

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

My grandsons best friend who is a fourteen old boy went vgetarian when he was about eight.Hea sked his dad on day where his chicken came from.When dad explained it he pushed it away and hasn't eaten meat since.Problem is he also don't like fruit and vegetables and lives off of mostly dairy products. Super smart kid but even a enius can make an irrational decision occasionally.
After hearing the story of his conversion I told his dad a joke. Two old timers were seeting on feed sacks passing the time of day when one casually remarked hey Clovis what you feed your dog? Clovis said "I feed my Dog dog food"Whay you feed your dog?Cledus said I feed my dog turnip greens.Clovis said "Whheewww! I couldn't get my dog to eat no turnip greens! Cledus said :I couldn't either for month".
He said he was going to try something like that bit his wife wouldn't allow it.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I still think though, that in this time of the year, it may be flowing due to rains, but in periods of drought, it may turn off.

Bob, thanks for taking the time to answer in a comprehensive way. Very interesting. If I get back there in late summer, or when we have a drought, I will check on it again. The water does seem to be very high everywhere I go right now.

Reactions: bobpbx

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Over 500 springs in NJ.

Just noticed your post Scott, fascinating. Glad I didn't sample the "crystal clear water". The Millburn Spring is unfit to drink and looks clear as well. It's also interesting that the PowerPoint leads off with "no universal definition" of a spring.