R.I.P.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I had four up in the attic, and several boxes of tapes. Dragged one out a couple years ago with the idea of digitizing a few of the old tapes. But I had forgotten just how bad analog VCR quality was compared to the digital formats we're now used to, so I didn't bother. Only one of the four worked properly and I gave it to my daughter who had some old home-movie tapes.

Got my first VCR in 1986, stopped using video tapes around 2003. Can't say that I miss them. When I heard this story on the news today I was surprised that anyone was still making them at all. ;)

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
I had four up in the attic, and several boxes of tapes. Dragged one out a couple years ago with the idea of digitizing a few of the old tapes. But I had forgotten just how bad analog VCR quality was compared to the digital formats we're now used to, so I didn't bother. Only one of the four worked properly and I gave it to my daughter who had some old home-movie tapes.

Got my first VCR in 1986, stopped using video tapes around 2003. Can't say that I miss them. When I heard this story on the news today I was surprised that anyone was still making them at all. ;)

I have a hybrid VCR/DVD player. I got rid of the tapes about five years ago. I check them all and they played, so I donated them.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just converted my wife's old home movies to DVD yesterday. They were 8MM and years ago they were put on tape so I now can edit and view them in my computer. One shows my wife on her first day of school 50 years ago.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I had my 8mm movies converted more than a decade ago. I also digitized my VHS tapes but kept the originals. Be aware that what you converted them to now may not be the standard tomorrow. I don't know the answer. I have kept my VCR, 8 track hardware and stuff for future use if needed, friends included.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I had all of my 8mm sound movie reels transferred by a company called Tailor-Made in PA. They returned ready to play DVD's, editable DVD's that I downloaded to the computer. Highly recommend them. There was a place on LBI, Hog-Penny, that was an agent for them, but I dealt directly with them. I did my Sony HandyCam 8mm cassette's myself to the computer, tedious, but easy. Not as tedious as scanning 35mm slides though, still have a full 18 gal rubbermade box patiently waiting. No VHS worth the money to transfer as I have a couple VCR's sitting around.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Tailor-Made did my 8mm. I digitized my VHS through my Sony video recorder. I scanned my film through a Canoscan 88oof, took a long time but I now have great slide shows on my TV and PC.