railroads in the pines

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am certain there is an error in that article. It states that the last sand freight train rumbled through in 1988 and that can't be correct. The train ceased in the 70's after Conrail took over. It was about 1978 or so. By 1988 the trees were growing. Also I remember Paul Schopp mentioning that around that time he and other RR enthusiasts had some sort of engine that they were able to ride through Atsion on, and were not able to complete the trip because of rail problems.

Ken...some input on this!

Anyone else?

Guy

shamongjeeper

Jan 22, 2004
Shamong, NJ
They probably came up to Route 206 near the Atsion Lake, where the rails are paved over. There is a dirt road running parallel to the rails that starts on Waterford Works Rd. and ends up on Quakerbridge Rd and beyond that, I don't know where they go.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
TeeGate said:
I am certain there is an error in that article. It states that the last sand freight train rumbled through in 1988 and that can't be correct. The train ceased in the 70's after Conrail took over. It was about 1978 or so. By 1988 the trees were growing. Also I remember Paul Schopp mentioning that around that time he and other RR enthusiasts had some sort of engine that they were able to ride through Atsion on, and were not able to complete the trip because of rail problems.

Ken...some input on this!

Anyone else?

Guy

Guy,

I believe the last year that Conrail passed through Chatsworth or pass Lakehurst was 1976.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Those rails at 206 were not paved over back then, and he was able to make it across from the lake side over to the Quaker Bridge road side. But he mentioned that he was not able to make it much farther for a reason I can't exactly remember.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
njvike said:
I believe the last year that Conrail passed through Chatsworth or pass Lakehurst was 1976.

It was somewhat later than that because of I have the photo's of me standing there with the train from around 1978. I will have to check my photo's. They are in disarray because of a software reinstall.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just checked and one of them is from 8/78.

Guy

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
bach2yoga said:
http://www.pinelandsalliance.org/Pages/Newsletter/ITPV6N4P1.html

Renee,

Welcome back. Hope you and your family enjoyed your trip.

Thanks for the great article. I do agree with Guy on the dates being incorrect. I will do a lookup in my books tonight as I just love trains and the Pine Barrens.

Did I also mention that the tracks that went through Chatsworth several years ago were stolen? It appears that several *former* employees were using their company *omitted* vehicle to sell the tracks at a scrap yard.

I was always wondering were they went.

Ken

B

bach2yoga

njvike said:
bach2yoga said:
http://www.pinelandsalliance.org/Pages/Newsletter/ITPV6N4P1.html

Renee,

Welcome back. Hope you and your family enjoyed your trip.

Thanks for the great article. I do agree with Guy on the dates being incorrect. I will do a lookup in my books tonight as I just love trains and the Pine Barrens.

Did I also mention that the tracks that went through Chatsworth several years ago were stolen? It appears that several *former* employees were using their company *omitted* vehicle to sell the tracks at a scrap yard.

I was always wondering were they went.

Ken

Interesting! Have to let the PPA know! :wink:

Some people have no scruples.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thank you Ken. I was certain 1988 was incorrect.

Guy

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
TeeGate said:
Thank you Ken. I was certain 1988 was incorrect.

Guy

You're good!

Speaking on the subject: This summer I was looking for the Terra Cotta Factory and ran into a Ranger in the area. I had asked him about it and also mentioned the other place it's commonly known as in here.

He scratched his head and said he honestly didn't know. Well, we got on the subject of the train tracks and he had mentioned that the owner of the Sand Company was looking for freight service but said that the Conrail would have to send in some engineers to determine what was needed at that it would cost x dollars to do. When the owner received the quote, he axed the idea.

It would've been nice to see freight trains while exploring.

Oh, well.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
njvike said:

I feel extremely lucky to have experienced sitting in Chatsworth, or on Carranza road, and in the woods, to have witnessed that. Unfortunately my only photo's of the actual Jersey Central train are extremely dark.

Guy

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Astion Train Tracks

gagliarchives said:
I went back there yesterday and took some photos of it. I was in awe. When were the tracks laid down, and did they cease in 1988?

Tom Gagliardi

http://gagliarchives.com

You can get the date of when the tracks were established by looking at the first post which has a link.

The last train to use those tracks was Conrail back on 8/3/78.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
TeeGate said:
njvike said:

I feel extremely lucky to have experienced sitting in Chatsworth, or on Carranza road, and in the woods, to have witnessed that. Unfortunately my only photo's of the actual Jersey Central train are extremely dark.

Guy

I would've really have liked to see that and the pictures. Oh, well.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
TeeGate said:
njvike said:

Guy

I would've really have liked to see that and the pictures. Oh, well.

B

bach2yoga

Can't tweak them with a photo editor? Especially if you set it in black and white, and play with the contrast?

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
Great Stuff....I couldn't believe that we found the tracks as quick as we did. After reading the article, which is great btw, I am assuming the tracks were laid in 1862, and ceased in 1978. Then we went to Hampton Furnace and the foundations were wonderful. I was told the foundations were built about 1790 and closed about 1850...is this true? I noticed that it seemed there had been a fire prior to the bridge at Hampton Furnace...looked as if nothing was left and you could still smell the fire within the ground...So this was an Iron Forge correct?
Just so amazing that all of it is still there...funny how people just go and live their lives everyday, work, food shopping, and meanwhile these ruins echo a once bustling past. Now silent. I am surprised more stuff hasnt been taken from there. Just amazing.