Rain

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
I'm curious; I was just watching the nightly news (I live in FL) and they said Atlantic City got 8" of rain from the latest storm. How is the flooding situation up there?
I remember sometime in the late 90's that Galloway got 13" overnight from a cloudburst one summer and the flooding there was amazing. It seemed like there was water laying on the sides of hills that day. Needless to say, our boss wasn't too happy when we told him our job site was underwater. Any good flooding tales from the latest?

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I think as you go up the Northeastern corridor it gets worse. I'm in north Jersey, and while we had high water nothing was over its banks in our county that I know of. They might have had some problems further east with the Rockaway or Passaic. Up in Rhode Island and New Hampshire it's a disaster. Haven't heard much about Massachusetts. I have also seen various reports of damage in the barrens, but very little of the infrastructure that exists out there is built to withstand high water. Most of the damage will be things like washed out roads and culverts that can be repaired by pushing some more sand into where the old sand was. Some of it, like the footbridge reported on another thread, will take a lot more work.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'm curious; I was just watching the nightly news (I live in FL) and they said Atlantic City got 8" of rain from the latest storm. How is the flooding situation up there?
I remember sometime in the late 90's that Galloway got 13" overnight from a cloudburst one summer and the flooding there was amazing. It seemed like there was water laying on the sides of hills that day. Needless to say, our boss wasn't too happy when we told him our job site was underwater. Any good flooding tales from the latest?

The standard flood prone areas were hit again, second time in as many weeks. I live along the central coast and all rivers/streams/creeks were above flood level along with quite a bit of tidal flooding along the bays. The local river is still 3 feet above flood stage.

A link to a statewide reporting;

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/03/flood_warnings_issued_for_nj_c.html

In Rhode Island I-95 has been closed till further notice. In New England they are calling it the worst flooding in 100 years.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
There have been a number of flooded roads in Atlantic County, including sections of US 40 and 322, but nothing catastrophic. A lot of homes have flooded yards and basements, so there's plenty of pain to go around. Water levels are very high everywhere, and many swamps are now lakes.

But for the most part, people seem to be dealing with it pretty well.