Rally Race ????

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Hello All,
Haven't posted in a while and wasn't sure where this info should go, so I'm putting it here. On Saturday night, my wife and I decided to take a ride in Wharton and went in Quaker Bridge. Before turning off 206 there were 2 trucks coming out, not unusual and there was a tow truck parked in Quaker Bridge across from the mansion, slightly unusual. We got to the tracks and there was a mini van backed onto the tracks with a large sign with an H on it near the road. Seeing this and the tow truck, I asked if he needed help, no was the reply. I proceeded on only to come up to a car doing at least 40 with a row of off road lights lit up like daytime in my face, I pulled off to let him pass and kindly asked him to turn off the lights when another vehicle was coming. He sped off. What happened next was so bizzare, there were no less than 15 more speeding down Quaker Bridge Road!! There were BMW's, Subaru's and VW's all set up rally car style! and driving like crazy! I thought I was in Baja! So we cut over to Stokes and headed for the bridge as we were meeting friends there. We were waiting in the sandy area for our friends to show when from behind us, a Passat came flying out of the woods and proceeded to bury iitself in the sugar sand in front of me. 2 guys got out and were discussing digging it out, I offered to pull them out. I asked if they were part of the rally car race and they said no they were looking for Hammonton and took a wrong turn! Now mind you they were coming from Batsto! I pointed them down Quaker toward 206 and they took off like crazy. I forgot to mention these guys were from Maryland and most of the cars I saw had out of state plates, Maryland, New York, PA. I am curious if anyone else saw this or knows anything about it. I can't imagine the state condoning this with all of the recent land use issues out there.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
If this an orchestrated event they need to flag people from the road at both ends.I damn near ate an enduro rider at hampton Furnace once because about twenty of them came tearing around a tight bend and if I hadn't ran into the ditch someone would have been medivaced out.I had no idea I was in an enduro race going the wrong way.No signs,no people.First day I had a brand new suzuki in the woods and I thought I broke an axle I came down so hard.I'm not anti enduro,just take reponsibility and get your lazy a** es out there and flag people away from the bikes.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
So Wharton allows people from out of state to tear up Quaker Bridge Rd in a rally race while closing off other roads to casual use by NJ residents? Something sounds wrong there... :rolleyes:

Reactions: devilstoy

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
If this was legal or permitted I agree with Al, the road should have been closed. Also, didn't see one state official type around at all. You would think the guy I mentioned at the railroad would have said something if he was a checkpoint. I just can't see the state issuing a permit for this kind of thing and not having any presence.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Don't know who approves it, but no one was monitoring it from my point of view. Don't know what the trail lovers think either, I think it's a bunch of BS that this can go on right along with road / area closures.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
The event is much like an enduro. You have to maintain a certain speed, you are penalized for going too fast or too slow. They are supposed to stay within the speed limits. Approximately 50 vehicles took part in this years event.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The event is much like an enduro. You have to maintain a certain speed, you are penalized for going too fast or too slow. They are supposed to stay within the speed limits. Approximately 50 vehicles took part in this years event.

That is a good way to have a rally, but it is obvious in that video someone took a long rest stop and tried to make up the time by speeding. I drive fast in the woods, but that speed is seriously dangerous. And as Ed has mentioned there have been speed traps on Quaker Bridge Road in the past where individuals have been fined for going over the 15MPH limit. Why should these individuals get permits for doing what looks like at least 50 in that video and other get tickets?
It just does not seem right to me.

Guy

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
That is a good way to have a rally, but it is obvious in that video someone took a long rest stop and tried to make up the time by speeding. I drive fast in the woods, but that speed is seriously dangerous. And as Ed has mentioned there have been speed traps on Quaker Bridge Road in the past where individuals have been fined for going over the 15MPH limit. Why should these individuals get permits for doing what looks like at least 50 in that video and other get tickets?
It just does not seem right to me.

Guy

I'm not defending them, just saying what the event is supposedly about. You know fooling around is going to take place.

I just spoke to someone at the Batsto Office today and was informed that the speed limit was 25 MPH, so I would be fighting that ticket. lol

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just spoke to someone at the Batsto Office today and was informed that the speed limit was 25 MPH, so I would be fighting that ticket. lol

I am trying to find Ed's post where he mentions the speed trap.

Guy