Rancocas creek put-in

Piney1125

Scout
May 1, 2004
Cherry Hill, NJ
In Robert Parnes' Paddling the Jersey Pine Barrens, he states that there is access to the Rancocas Creek via a "short paved road" from Route 530. What road is this and where exactly is it (north/south side of creek)?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Piney1125 said:
In Robert Parnes' Paddling the Jersey Pine Barrens, he states that there is access to the Rancocas Creek via a "short paved road" from Route 530. What road is this and where exactly is it (north/south side of creek)?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I can say things have changed in that area and may be different now.

Guy

George

Apr 8, 2003
Browns Mills New Jersey
I live here in Browns Mills and will check it out today and post a little later. There are only two roads that bracket the creek below Mirror Lake dam. The article is probably refering to the one besides Dominos Pizza.

George

George

Apr 8, 2003
Browns Mills New Jersey
Behind Dominos Pizza, 530 & Noteboom St, there is a small parking area. In that parking spot there is a sign that states Pemberton Twp Wetlands area. This sign is at the head of a path that will take you to the North Branch, Rancocas Creek. I did not walk it, but the road on the other side has no put in. Additionally, on the Pemberton Bypass, just past Burlington County College, on the opposite side, there is a nice put-in spot on the creek. It is below a couple of downed trees, so the going is easier, all the way to Pemberton Boro. New Lisbon, between Browns Mills and the college, is a point that requires portage.

George

George

Apr 8, 2003
Browns Mills New Jersey
Piney,

Not a problem...
Went to Mapquest to see your view of things. Duck Island Road is the proper name used. The put-in is on the opposite side of the road from the college. It it visible from the road, with blacktop and paved parking for about three cars, right on the creek. Have fun.

George

P

Pineyprowler

I live near the mouth of the Rancocas in Riverside. Not so much of a great town anymore. On the Delanco side of the creek there is a penninsula between the Delaware and the Rancocas. It is known as Hawk Island because it was once an island but it was dredged so the barges had more room in the channel to get further north to Burlington or Trenton as far as I know. Anyways, there used to be two lakes back there but now there is only one. Locals tell me that there used to be a quarry or somthing back there i'm not sure exactly. Anyways back in the 50's or 60's a construction crew was back there and they hit a underground spring and the dirt turned to mud so fast that they couldn't get everything out. Soon enough it was a lake. Rumor has it that there is a small crane and a few dumptrucks still that the bottom if it. Does anybody know anything about this? Im only 20 and I wasn't around back then to confirm it. I've looked for news and can't find anything and even searched the internet with nothing. A lot of people tell me about it. I know that the lake itself i very deep. Anybody know?