Raptor Festival SATURDAY (not Sunday)

B

bach2yoga

Saturday, February 7, 2004

7 am Sunrise Walk

Turkey Point Road, Dividing Creek, NJ

8 am – 5 pm

(Indoor exhibitors, local artists and speakers)

Admission $8 adult, $4 child

Mauricetown Fire Hall, Mauricetown, NJ

Stop by BDP’s Exhibit

Speaker Schedule:

10:30 Steve Eisenhauer, ‘Flying Over Cumberland County: A Raptor’s

View’

11:30 Keynote Speaker, Pat Sutton, ‘A Naturalist’s Journey Through

Cumberland County’

12:30 Clay Sutton, Book signing ‘Birding Cumberland’

1:00 Clay Sutton, ‘All about Eagles’

2:00 David Mizrahi, ‘Delaware Bay, Mecca for Migrants’

3:00 Karen Williams, ‘Inviting Wildlife into Your Yard’

4:00 Jane Morton Galetto, ‘Eggs to Flight; the Maurice River Osprey

Colony’

5 pm Sunset Owl Watch with Pat Sutton

Turkey Point Road, Dividing Creek, NJ

6:30 pm Dinner with Dunne

Dinner includes Birding Stories by Pete Dunne, Vice President, NJ

Audubon Society

$8 for Dinner (adults and children)

Mauricetown Fire Hall, Mauricetown, NJ

For more information, please call 856-453-2177

Winter Raptor Fest is presented by the

Cumberland County Board of Chosen Freeholders.

Bayshore Discovery Project is a partner organization along with

The Nature Conservancy, The Natural Lands Trust, The Cape May Bird

Observatory, NJ Audubon Society

Citizens United to Save the Maurice River and its Tributaries,

Commercial Township Environmental Commission

All,

I went to the Raptor Festival this morning along with a few friends for the 7am sunrise walk. We saw many different birds there including Snow and Canadian Geese, Harriers, Woodpeckers, Herons, Red Winged Blackbirds and many many more that I don't remember the names of. What a fantastic day it turned out to be. I ran into Renee, Joe and the kids at the fire hall and again at one of the other viewing sites. On the way to one site we took a wrong turn and happened upon two young eagles having a tug of war over some food. We were informed by someone else that stopped that one was a first year and the onther a second year bird. We were told it takes five years for an eagle to mature. At one of the sites I lost my binoculars. I think I had left them on the roof of my friends truck. We went back to look but did not find them. We then went to anothe site where we were able to look through someone's scope and see an eagle in it's nest and another perched near by. One of the friends I was with, who is the one really into birds of prey, had to leave to go to work. Just minutes later one of the eagles was soaring in the sky giving us a nice show. Too bad he missed it.
KenDawg said he s was going to come down later and would call me but I never heard from him so I don't know if he ever made it.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sounds like a nice day, and an early one also.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

It was a nice day. I spent a bit of it manning booths, while Joe and the kids and Kristen's friend checked out the exhibitors, but we did get plenty of outdoor time and saw some more eagles too, shortly after we left you and your friends, Behr. Sorry about those binoculars, that stinks. Kristen found someone's hotel room key while we were at one of the stops, no one knew whose, so we stopped that off at the hotel on the way home.
We stopped a few places, Joe took us back onto a road where he had done some work. The shellpiles there are around 50 feet high and are "mined" for driveways. We had a lot of fun scaling them, but stank afterwards! Found some cool shells there. Also ran into Bill (does the radio telemetry for snakes at the Manumuskin preserve). Got to talking with him a bit, and he said he's hoping for a contract from the state to do the same in Peaslee. He is hoping it goes through: he has indicated before that he believes he may find timber rattlesnakes there and mentioned that again yesterday.
After cleaning up and having some dinner we headed to Whitesbog for a TNC program on orangatans that was absolutely fascinating.
Headed out again today, combo ghost towns/plant places.
Haven't had a chance to upload pics yet.
Renee

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
Don'y tell me we have orangatans in the Pines now!!! :D
:p TNC has property worldwide and hosted a program last night about the orangatans which are flagship species--expected to be extinct in the wild by 2010. :cry: The live only in Malaysia and Indonesia.
The presentation was absolutely incredible. I was ready to board a plane for Indonesia to help.
Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would prefer to be riverside in the summer :) That looks cold.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
I would prefer to be riverside in the summer :) That looks cold.

Guy

Brrr...it was! It was warm in the big ruin area, but very, very windy and cold by the river!

We stopped behind Harrisville--the river was really high from the snow melt and running fairly quickly. If you were into kayaking this time of year, it might be a nice kayak.

Renee

bach2yoga said:
Really? Any idea which it was?
Renee

Renee,

I'm not sure what you mean by "which it was".
It is not any of the ruins at Hampton Furnace. It is before you get there from Rt206. Here is a link to where I think it is. It is about 25 yards off Hampton Rd and is easily seen from the road.:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=1...50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

What is perplexing is that the two sites are not of the same vintage. The one near Hampton being much more resent. It is possible that these things are not in there original locations. Both are the same size and shape and at least one you could see that it had been formed in a wooden keg. You could see the wood grain and stave marks. I don't remember which one that was or maybe both showed that. KenDawg may remember.
I don't know what they were used for.

Steve

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
bach2yoga said:
Really? Any idea which it was?
Renee

Renee,

I'm not sure what you mean by "which it was".
It is not any of the ruins at Hampton Furnace. It is before you get there from Rt206. Here is a link to where I think it is. It is about 25 yards off Hampton Rd and is easily seen from the road.:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=1...50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

What is perplexing is that the two sites are not of the same vintage. The one near Hampton being much more resent. It is possible that these things are not in there original locations. Both are the same size and shape and at least one you could see that it had been formed in a wooden keg. You could see the wood grain and stave marks. I don't remember which one that was or maybe both showed that. KenDawg may remember.
I don't know what they were used for.

Steve

Sorry, it didn't make sense did it??? Oh, boy, do I need another vacation...I meant what, not which.

So I wonder what they are.

Brain fried...just not thinking straight.

Renee