Rattlesnake

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Thanks for this photo, it confirms my I D of the snke I recenly saw basking in my backyard ss a black rat snake. Various images/videos I got did not show the long tapered tail and narrow head. Do you or anyone else have any photos showing the head of this species?

I've always liked herps, had many turtles as a kid. Never got the whole "snakes are slimy" phobia, maybe because I grew up on the shore trapping/skinning eels for my dad to make into trolling baits for bluefish!

Herps rock! Here's a photo of the head of a black rat snake. I'm also going to attach a pic of a racer's head (similar in appearance). The rat snake doesn't have the ridge over its eye that the racer has, giving the rat snake somewhat of a 'surprised' look.

upload_2017-7-29_16-43-14.png

upload_2017-7-29_16-44-11.png

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I think rats look much shinier also due to the keeled scales where racers look Flat Black.Also rats get much bigger and move differently.Racers kink their bodies when they move no doubt a habit acquired from so much climbing.Racers flow much more smoothly and faster.Also if you grab the snake you may possibly get a nip from a rat snake,probably not.The racer will bite you as fast as you can count that many times,unless of course he stops to chew.

Reactions: johnnyb

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica stumbled on this today. Sure surprised her. :siren: This may or may not be the same snake we have been seeing. It was not in the same location but in the same general area. It seems smaller so it may be a different one.

TR.JPG

TR1.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think it is a female and I hear they don't eat this time of year. They wait until giving birth. I could be wrong. It is very shiny.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This is a different place Ed but yes you still should stay out of that area.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I went out with my brother on Saturday and while looking for the rattlesnake my brother almost ran into it. He really jumped back when he saw it. His first find. She had not given birth.

IMG_1429a.jpg

Jess and I went out checking again today and she still is waiting patiently.

IMG_1441a.jpg

IMG_1442a.jpg

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Its really late for her not to be with neonates. I witnessed this a few years back where the female was still milling around appearing gravid nearly into october. I dont fully understand what is occurring, perhaps there was complications and she is waiting to feed before departing for her den. Timbers birthed as early as 8/20 with the avg being around labor day. She is about 2-3 wks late.

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
She is so big I don't think she can coil.

I will check on her again soon.