Realtor.com adds wildfire risk to listings

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Was just reading an article about this, so I did a quick search for Chatsworth and clicked on a random listing...

fire.png

Then, for fun, I did a search for homes in Medford..

Here's a random listing there. I wonder if this new system of ratings will affect the market in the Pines?

fire2.png

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I think that yes, among certain buyers, it will have an effect.
I agree with Bob but the emphasis is on certain buyers. The same goes for coastal flooding. After superstorm Sandy, some moved away, some rebuilt but there was/is a waiting line of new buyers. Insurance makes it easy anymore where common sense if there's any around, is tossed aside.

Reactions: NJCoastal

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
First Street Foundation (a non-profit) is the source of those ratings, you can find your own wildfire and other risks by searching for your address on their site here:

It gives me fire risk factor of 3, which is interesting. My home is 800 feet back off the road, bordering on a WMA and surrounded by trees. Was surprised that it wasn't higher. Flood factor is 1, which is no surprise.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
You know, I downloaded the NJDEP contaminated sites dataset and included it when I was building my 2020 topo map. But I decided not to use it in the final version. Was just a bit concerned about liability if there were any errors, disputed sites, claims that it could impact somebody's property values, etc. Maybe not a big deal, but it's better to let NJDEP put it on their maps instead of mine. :)