Recommend a Shotgun

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I just quickly searched through the "New Jersey Administrative Code Title 13, Chapter 54. Firearms and Weapons (N.J.A.C. 13:54-1 et seq.)" document and only saw references to 15 rounds, not 10, so maybe I'm thinking of something else.

I think that limitation was in the Federal law that has expired. More info regarding the laws can be found on the NJ State Police web site under 'Firearms'. The 15 round magazine limit also applies to handguns. For shotguns, it is 6 rounds.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
(c) A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a pistol grip, or a folding stock
(d) A semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds
Those are no nos Pump action shotguns you can have 8 rounds and a folding stock:)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Those are no nos Pump action shotguns you can have 8 rounds and a folding stock:)

What did you mean by this last sentence...I can't decipher it.

??

Oh, I think I know...you mean C and D are not allowed, but you can have a pump action shotgun with up to 8 rounds?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
(d) A semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds

Not sure how this applies to the Ruger 10/22 since it has a detachable rotary clip with 30 rounds available for it. I couldn't find anything in the law that clarifies it. I wish they made one of those for my Ruger .44 mag carbine :D but then it would be an assault rifle :rolleyes:

it appears any magazine over 15 rounds is a no-no, with exceptions.

"Any magazine with a capacity greater than fifteen rounds is prohibited, even if there is no semi-automatic firearm to accompany the magazine unless the person has a registered “assault firearm” and the magazine is used for DCM sanctioned shooting matches."

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Sorry Bob,
Those are no nos Pump action shotguns you can have 8 rounds and a folding stock...........

Yes what I should have said C and D are Not Allowed And Pump action shotguns you can have 8 rounds and a folding stock Are OK to buy and own. Also any clip holding more then 15 rounds Is Not allowed

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Thanks for the clarification. That being said, it sounds like I'm OK with the OEM 10-round magazine in my 10/22. I'm having a heck of a time finding this Remington 870 Express Tactical that I want new. No one seems to have one. My local gun shop is going to do some more calling around today to see what he can find. I've been emailing all over the country and cannot find one available. That shotgun is a pump, with 6-rounds and 1-round in the camber for a total of 7-rounds. Sounds like I'd be OK with that too.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Thanks for the clarification. That being said, it sounds like I'm OK with the OEM 10-round magazine in my 10/22. I'm having a heck of a time finding this Remington 870 Express Tactical that I want new. No one seems to have one. My local gun shop is going to do some more calling around today to see what he can find. I've been emailing all over the country and cannot find one available. That shotgun is a pump, with 6-rounds and 1-round in the camber for a total of 7-rounds. Sounds like I'd be OK with that too.

2 places to try. They are both in northern Ocean County.

Bob Kislins, RT 37, Toms River, http://www.bobkislins.com/toms-river-nj-hunting-and-fishing.htm

Shore Shot Range, off RT 70, Lakewood, http://www.shoreshotpistolrange.com/

Both supply local law enforcement and the public.

The large mail order place below has them. You will have to arrange a transfer with your local dealer, which is not a big deal, usually about $30.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.aspx?T=remington%20870%20express%20tactical

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Thanks. I'll give them a try. I appreciate the help.

There used to be a place on RT 22, Rays Sport Shop. He had the one of the largest selections of firearms in the state, as well as other sporting goods and a range, great prices. Started with a small place in Scotch Plains that burned down. I had bought my Model 70 .300 Win mag there the week before.

It is now a car dealership :cry:

Good luck in your search.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
There used to be a place on RT 22, Rays Sport Shop. He had the one of the largest selections of firearms in the state, as well as other sporting goods and a range, great prices. Started with a small place in Scotch Plains that burned down. I had bought my Model 70 .300 Win mag there the week before.

It is now a car dealership :cry:

Good luck in your search.

I stopped by Rays once when I was in the area to replenish some of my fly tying supplies. I walked out with a 20 gauge Ruger Red Label over/under from their used gun rack. Moral….never keep your firearm ID card in the glove box!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I walked out with a 20 gauge Ruger Red Label over/under from their used gun rack.

My favorite, has an English grip : )

Do you know what gives at Mill Creek Park on the Toms, heard there was a meeting tonight about it, but I could not make it.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

I bought that Remington 870 Express Tactical gun last year on route 130, that sportsmens center. They ordered it, came in 2 weeks later.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
My favorite, has an English grip : )

Do you know what gives at Mill Creek Park on the Toms, heard there was a meeting tonight about it, but I could not make it.

It may be regarding an Ocean County College sailing facility that has been in the works for a number of years now. Not much was happening on the project, and I seemed to have forgotten the few details I was aware of. My brain isn’t holding onto things as it once did.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It may be regarding an Ocean County College sailing facility that has been in the works for a number of years now. Not much was happening on the project, and I seemed to have forgotten the few details I was aware of. My brain isn’t holding onto things as it once did.

Thanks, it's a nice little park. Only one of two places left on the Toms with a great stand of Mountain Laurel. Hardly a place for sailing I would think.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I bought that Remington 870 Express Tactical gun last year on route 130, that sportsmens center. They ordered it, came in 2 weeks later.

Thanks. I have messages into all these places that were provided. Just waiting to hear something back. I did find a dealer in Maryland that has (2) of these coming in. Worse case, I'll go that route in paying for shipping and the transfer fee. I really want this gun.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Not 100% related to this thread, but gun related none the less and didn't want to start another thread. Does anyone know the NJ legality of a folding/pistrol grip for a .22 rifle? Obviously, if it's not legal, I don't want it.

Here's the one I'm referring to.

BUTLER CREEK 10/22 FOLDING STOCK

http://www.tacticalinc.com/butler-creek-1022-folding-stock-p-352.html

I'd like to get it for my Ruger 10/22 Carbine. I remember the guy at Bob's Little Sport Shop telling me that a pistol grip alone on a rifle in NJ is a NO-NO, but he said that if it had the stock along with the pistol grip that it was OK. Since this has a folding stock and a pistol grip, I'm not sure. Besides, that guy already told me bad information once before.

Here it is.

imagemagic.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Not 100% related to this thread, but gun related none the less and didn't want to start another thread. Does anyone know the NJ legality of a folding/pistrol grip for a .22 rifle? Obviously, if it's not legal, I don't want it.

I'd like to get it for my Ruger 10/22 Carbine. I remember the guy at Bob's Little Sport Shop telling me that a pistol grip alone on a rifle in NJ is a NO-NO, but he said that if it had the stock along with the pistol grip that it was OK. Since this has a folding stock and a pistol grip, I'm not sure. Besides, that guy already told me bad information once before.

From N.J.A.C. Title 13 Chapter 54, a copy at the link below.

http://njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/062408_title13ch54.pdf

"A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be 'substantially identical' that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it meets the below listed criteria:

i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least
two of the following:

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;
(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(3) A bayonet mount;
(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash
suppressor; and
(5) A grenade launcher"

The most accurate way to make a determination is to give the SP a call.