Recommend a Trail Camera

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
My immediate goal is to how to get rid of them. My wife is going to call our city's Animal Control Department to see what/if suggestions they have. I'm not sure in the proper method of handling this because of there being so many. I really don't want them in my backyard.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Probably the easiest way is to remove or move to someplace secured, what is bringing them in. We had a family of them living on the flue ledge in our fireplace one summer, the dog would stare at the fireplace and you could hear them moving around. We put a radio in the fireplace and played it loud whenever we went out; it took a couple of days, but one evening we saw them scramble out the chimney and run into the woods. Whether they didn't like the station or it was time for them to set out, they were gone. :)

noboat

Explorer
Feb 1, 2010
Waterford Works
trap.jpg

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Thanks. I think the 1st thing I want to do for now is to relocate my outside trashcans further away from the house. I'm not keen on them being so close. I can move them 25-yards or so to the back and at least keep them away from the house I'd think. We've yet to call the city, so that's my next thing to do. I'm not expecting much help there.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Thanks. I think the 1st thing I want to do for now is to relocate my outside trashcans further away from the house. I'm not keen on them being so close. I can move them 25-yards or so to the back and at least keep them away from the house I'd think. We've yet to call the city, so that's my next thing to do. I'm not expecting much help there.

Get some moth balls and spread them around where you will put the cans, put some inside as well. Some folks I know built an enclosure out of heavy wire mesh for the cans, just some 1 x 2's with the wire stapled to it. If they can get the food, they'll keep returning.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Thanks. From what I've read, moth balls do nothing to deter them. I don't understand why I've never had an issue until now. I really want them gone, so trapping/relocating them is the path I'll probably take. I'd love to find where they nest in the daytime, but from what I've read, it could be anywhere. Under bushes, in a tree, in a neighbor's yard, etc.