'Recovery' of Sand Roads After Sandy/Nor'Easter

TurboDan

Aug 11, 2012
Surf City, NJ
Being new to this, I'm not too familiar with how the roads of the pines tend to recover after storms - mainly the timeline and the procedure.

I can only imagine there is a lot of water in certain areas, plus trees down. I'd love to go out tomorrow and take some photos of the snow out there, but I'm thinking it might not be a smart idea.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences on this topic?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Most of the slop holes around my woods are full from Sandy and are not traversable without 4WD and 44's.
Look for go-arounds and use them and you will likely be fine.

Major pines roads like Quaker Bridge Road between Atsion and Batsto stay passable, even after this weather. There are a lot of scenic spots close to the main road along the Mullica in the early stretches near Atsion.

Have fun.
Don't stay home for this little bit of crap, you never know what kind of adventure you would have missed..

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Remember Turbo,wet sand gets harder and better driving.mud on the other hand is better dry,wet means nasty when it comes to mud.Avoid any road that crosses swamps on the topo.If you don't have four wheel try to maintain a steady speed thru sand and don't floor it unless your getting stuck.Once stuck quit flooring it or you'll bottom out and then it;s a lot mor digging to get you out or another truck or come along.carry an old piece of rug for a traction mat and a shovel.If you have four wheel of coure slower and lower is better.I granny low through anything in the least bit questionable and I'm never too proud to walk the mudhole first.If I get stuck on foot it's a definite no go in the truck.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Pine roads never recover after storms, the individuals driving the roads just adapt to what ever new obstacle crosses their paths. On occasion the Forest Service will patch a road if it is a major artery, but for the most part you are on your on. Common sense and two wheels on the dry will get you through almost anything. A hidden deep rut in a puddle is always exciting!

A shovel and a strap is all I ever carry in my truck. I have used the strap to pull a tree to the side of the road more times than I have pulled someone out who was stuck.

Go have fun!

TurboDan

Aug 11, 2012
Surf City, NJ
Thanks guys. Got 4WD but don't want to tear things up. Will explore at my own risk. Snow is mostly melted but looking forward to getting some good shots this winter. ;)

TurboDan

Aug 11, 2012
Surf City, NJ
Well, answered my own question today. Took a ride in the Aserdaten area, down Jones and out to the preserve. Enjoyed a very nice day out there and introduced a girl I've been seeing (and her dog) to the area. Good times all around, and everything looks to be in good shape.

Lots of people out there today. Saw a Jeep club as well as a couple other "convoys."

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
a hint is in order.If you ever get a week day off hit the pines while every one else is working.I work shift work so my days off rotate.When I'm in the woods on a week day there is absolutely no one out there.You'll have them to yourself.

Reactions: Chrisr

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Agreed Al!! I've been to the pines on my days off during the week and feel like I'm the only one out there at times. Heck, I probably am!!! It is great though. Nothing but the sounds of the wildlife all around. Can't beat it!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I would still rather work like everyone else,steady days with weekends off but shiftwork does have it's advantages outside of slowly killing you you get some great me time in the woods without the crowds.