Red Devil?

Windsor

Scout
Aug 11, 2005
Somerdale
Although not in the Pine Barrens, this past weekend my wife and I were geocaching at Timber Creek Park. Not as scenic as the Pines, but a nice place to bring your dog, etc. Anyway, I started googling this place and found this blog:

http://thenewparkras.blogspot.com

I am not debating the existence of the story's subject, just if anyone has heard of the 'Red Devil' before. I think the old man in the story was pulling the guys leg, but just curious if this story exists somewhere?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A man I work with goes there all the time. I sent it to him to get his take on it.

Guy

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
I also go there all the time. My dogs never acted strangely (nor would I expect them to). Also, the NIKE Mssile Base is miles away in the Erial/Sicklerville section of the township. The dog park is in the Chews Landing section. Many of you may know the dog park as being on the grounds of the former "Slim's Ranch".

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I also go there all the time. My dogs never acted strangely (nor would I expect them to). Also, the NIKE Mssile Base is miles away in the Erial/Sicklerville section of the township. The dog park is in the Chews Landing section. Many of you may know the dog park as being on the grounds of the former "Slim's Ranch".

Jessica took her first horse ride there and she had the most aggressive horse of the group. It took off and she did not have the strength to pull the reigns and someone had to chase after her and catch the horse. She stayed on so she did not get hurt.

Guy

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Jessica took her first horse ride there and she had the most aggressive horse of the group. It took off and she did not have the strength to pull the reigns and someone had to chase after her and catch the horse. She stayed on so she did not get hurt.

Guy

That's good to hear! A friend had a similar experience at a riding place in the Poconos. The horse spooked after breaking thru some ice at a stream crossing.

Nov 18, 2008
Erial, NJ
www.facebook.com
I pretty much grew up in the Chews Landing/Glendora area. My mother and father grew up there. Big Timber Creek was only a few steps away from both of their front doors when they grew up. As kids my brother, cousins and I would explore the Big Timber Creek area including Slims Ranch and Gabriel Davies Tavern. Our parents would tell us stories about ghosts and weird occurances that happened while they were growing up. I remember a story about a ball of fire that used to fly through the woods along the creek and some sort of wild animal that was also mentioned in the blog above, I don't remember hearing anything about the nike base being in the story though. I can't confirm or deny any of this since I have never witnessed it. I have only heard sounds like growling,that could have been a racoon or some other nocturnal critter. Here is a link about happenings at the tavern right across the creek from the dog park.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Gabriel+Davies+Tavern&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Guy

My wife got scared off horses for life. We were in Grand Teton NP on a trail ride, I was toward the rear. Big commotion toward the front and I saw a horse rearing up. The rider jumped off the horse and grabbed onto a tree. Looked like my wife, turns out it was. Seems the horse spooked on some loose rocks in the trail. Wife refused to get back on the horse, we were about 10 miles out. I moved toward the back in the line. The wranglers sent for another horse, which my wife was coaxed to get on, and we finished the ride. She hasn't been on a horse since. She did not been on a horse since and when I returned the following year, told her that her picture was posted in the wrangler office with instructions not to allow her on any horses. To this day she believes they had to put the horse down that she was riding, which was not the case.

Windsor

Scout
Aug 11, 2005
Somerdale
Wow, it's been a while since I checked back on this post. I remember the dog park when it was Slim's Ranch back in the day. Does anyone remember when or why it closed down?

Never heard of Gabriel Davies Tavern until now. I'll definitely have to check it out!

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Gabreil Daveis Tavern is located in Glendora, New Jersey. The building dates back to the early 1700's and has had many sightings and stories over the years. The Inn was used for a safe haven for Colonial Soldiers during the Revolutionary wartime. It was also used as a place of Piracy! The original furnishings are still in the house and there are still bloodstains in the attic. On occasion, people have observed someone walking in the upstairs rooms, lights in the windows and strange sounds of people suffering. This NRHP site is open to visitors on Sunday afternoons, from 1 to 4 , from April through December, excepting holidays. This pre-revolutionary war tavern was built in 1756 and for many years served as an inn for boatmen who transported their products to Philadelphia via nearby Big Timber Creek. It was recently restored and now serves as Gloucester Township's historical centerpiece. This building has also been referred to as The Hillman Hospital House because it was designated a hospital by George Washington during the Revolution.
N 39° 50.241 W 075° 03.606
18S E 494857 N 4409706

Medfox

Nov 30, 2010
Chews Landing Tavern?

There was also Chews Landing Tavern (may have also had a different name in Colonial Times) which was located on Chews Landing Road just around the corner from Slims heading towards the BHP and across from the Water treatment facility, next to the Fire Station as I recall. I believe it burned down in the early 80s and was also a very old and historically significant Tavern. Anyone know of any more info. on this Tavern? I have fond memories of the place because I think it was the first place I actually got into and got served back in the 70s when you could get into a bar at 16 and actually get served.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Records from 1790 indicate there was a log school built in the field across from the Chews Landing Tavern. Over time, several schools were built.

In 1958, a modern 12-room school was built on Somerdale Road. Named for its geographic location in the township, Chews Elementary School.

woodpileharry

Dec 20, 2010
Chews Landing tavern

I had wondered what happened to the Chews Landing Tavern. I probably spent too many evenings there:beerspill:. When they first put the development in down the road (can't remember the name but we used to live on Vicksburg Road when those homes were first built, I think it was around 1971 or 72. I used to work in Mt Ephraim, so I'd hike to the Black Horse Pike to catch the bus for work. On the way home, well... you see where this is heading. Boy, I think beers were a buck. I sure miss those days.