Redfin Pickerel Do Not Exist!!!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I loved fishing for pickeral when I was young. I was deep into it even into my 20's. I plan to do a lot more of it when I retire.
This is me at 23 years old on Massachussets Trail in Presidential Lakes with 7 or 9 of them. They had drained the back lake leaving a canal around the edges and in the center. Good fun.

PickeralFisherman3.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That photo makes it look as if Bob is holding up the telephone pole. :)

Guy

Reactions: dogg57

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Cool photo, Bob.

HK, I appreciate your ambition. Catching a redfin on rod and reel is going to be difficult. I'll help you out as best I can. I never targeted redfin specifically, but if I did, I'd do this...

I'd get away from where the chainsides are, go to a bog with a sandy, shallow bottom and not too much spaghum moss. Preferably, a high bank (like a high land bridge) and I would try to actually see if I could spot any redfins from above. Look for sedges along, or in the water. Redfins will most likely be looking into these sedges especially if they are at the water's edge. If you see a chainside, move on, the redfins won't be near a chain. I'd use a small hook with a very small minnow (a minnow trap might be necessary) and I'd place it about 12" from the sedges, or 2' from the fish if I spotted him. This isn't the optinum redfin environment, but perhaps the best for catching one.

If that did not work, I would go to a bog or lake with cedar growing in it and stagnent, dark water. Not a full on cedar swamp though. In this case I would experiment with live bait (no worms) and shinny lures (but don't get snagged).

Another idea is to wait till the sunfish are spawning. locate their nests in the sand and cast beyond the nesting area and slowly work the bait in. Don't cross the nest though.

these suggestions are based on experience and thoughts on isolating redfins from the other species. I will PM you some locations. Good luck!!!

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Thank you Jeff. Do redfins not eat worms? Nice pics too

redfins eat worms, yeah, but they would prefer a fish. the thing is, the sunfish and catfish love worms so by not using worms you decrease your chances of catching a sunfish or catfish instead of a redfin. The smaller redfins will reside in the same proximity of the sunfish. The larger ones are hanging near the chainsides and are few and scared out of their minds that they will be eaten (not likely to catch one there).

One long shot chance of catching a larger redfin in to canoe/kayak into a sphagum choked bog and drop some bait straight down through the sphagum and just wait. not the most fun, I believe your chances are better going for the smaller ones.

Jeff

Keith Mahoney

Nov 15, 2011
I know this is an old post and I'm sure you've bagged your redfin pick already on the old rod and reel. But for anyone else who is trying to catch one big enough to be called more than a minnow here is what I have found. The redfin is the smallest of the native and introduced pickerel species in sj. I think this makes them less territorial than the other larger species and more likely to be almost constantly on the move. I've never caught one before dusk, and I've had the most luck right after the sun was completely set. And I have even caught a couple after midnight when I tossed out a rooster tail along the shore; while I had a few lines out for cat fish and carp which leads me to believe they are most likely nocturnal. Competition says two organisms cant occupy the exact same niche so this also makes sense in ecological terms since i catch most my chains during the day. And a good spot that is not in middle of nowhere is Hampton Lakes on rt 70 in South Hampton right near Leisuretown. Take a small black power worm grub cut of most the head then split that in three down the middle so it looks like a peace sign then throw it on a rooster tail on each of the small hooks without affecting the spinning spoon. Walk the banks from lamp post to lamp post without pissing of the locals. Or just cast along the shores keeping the line as close to the shore as possible whether your in a canoe or walking the banks keep it close to shore they cruise the shallows from lamp to lamp and dock to dock all night. I got a 12incher there before. Good luck

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I know this is an old post and I'm sure you've bagged your redfin pick already on the old rod and reel. But for anyone else who is trying to catch one big enough to be called more than a minnow here is what I have found.

Good post Keith, I can see you are dedicated to the sport. I caught my first pickerel in Hampton Lakes with a seine net. We were "dragging" for anything and came up with one that seemed 18" long or so.

I lived there from 1961 to 1963(?). In those days the beach there was white and pristine with lifeguards and clean water. I can still hear Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons playing in the background at the beach. Either that or..."Michael rowed the Boat Ashore".

Hallelujah!

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I think I may have "caught" a redfin twice, but as they are so small (these were about 4" long) when I set the hook they launched out of the water and went right over the canoe, landing about 20 feet on the other side. Before I could stop laughing and real in they had dropped the bait (very small artificial minnows and a #8 hook). My brother Tom and I now have a running joke that if the fish passes over the boat then gets away we still count it as caught :). I've never actually held one though.
Greg

HerringKing

Scout
Jan 25, 2009
Mt. Laurel, NJ
I know this is an old post and I'm sure you've bagged your redfin pick already on the old rod and reel. But for anyone else who is trying to catch one big enough to be called more than a minnow here is what I have found. The redfin is the smallest of the native and introduced pickerel species in sj. I think this makes them less territorial than the other larger species and more likely to be almost constantly on the move. I've never caught one before dusk, and I've had the most luck right after the sun was completely set. And I have even caught a couple after midnight when I tossed out a rooster tail along the shore; while I had a few lines out for cat fish and carp which leads me to believe they are most likely nocturnal. Competition says two organisms cant occupy the exact same niche so this also makes sense in ecological terms since i catch most my chains during the day. And a good spot that is not in middle of nowhere is Hampton Lakes on rt 70 in South Hampton right near Leisuretown. Take a small black power worm grub cut of most the head then split that in three down the middle so it looks like a peace sign then throw it on a rooster tail on each of the small hooks without affecting the spinning spoon. Walk the banks from lamp post to lamp post without pissing of the locals. Or just cast along the shores keeping the line as close to the shore as possible whether your in a canoe or walking the banks keep it close to shore they cruise the shallows from lamp to lamp and dock to dock all night. I got a 12incher there before. Good luck

Thanks for your help. I still haven't caught one but I'm getting closer. Thanks to everyone for their help

HerringKing

Scout
Jan 25, 2009
Mt. Laurel, NJ
Keith, I was looking at the lake on google maps and it looks like the lake is surrounded by private homes. What part do you fish from shore- Holly Blvd or the other side?