Relic from Lakehurst N.A.S.

rc911

Explorer
Apr 23, 2015
Cream Ridge, NJ
I recently bought this trailer from a local farmer who said that it has been on the family farm for at least 50 years (in the northern Pine Barrens) and that his father bought it at a government auction at Lakehurst in the 1960's or early 70's. It is either an ammunition trailer or a weapons trailer and the data plate says 1957 among other information. I will probably eventually use it as a roadside farm stand. It is definitely overbuilt as most of these sorts of things are. Does anyone have any information about it or trailers like it.

Attachments

• 20200924_184429.jpg
    20200924_184429.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 217
Reactions: Boyd and Teegate

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I started working at Lakehurst in the early 70's, and worked there my entire career. In my opinion it's not an ammunition trailer at all. It's likely just a maintenance trailer used to ferry parts back and forth from the shops. The cats shoot deadloads and the brakes wear out frequently. They are heavy sumbitches and have to be 're-pucked'.

Reactions: rc911 and Boyd

rc911

Explorer
Apr 23, 2015
Cream Ridge, NJ
I started working at Lakehurst in the early 70's, and worked there my entire career. In my opinion it's not an ammunition trailer at all. It's likely just a maintenance trailer used to ferry parts back and forth from the shops. The cats shoot deadloads and the brakes wear out frequently. They are heavy sumbitches and have to be 're-pucked'.
Thanks for the information. What ever it hauled sure must have been heavy.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It's hard to imagine unless you worked on the conglomeration of high tensile steel assembled into catapults and arresting engines. Here's a sailor working on the cats with portions of the deck removed. You can see the two rows of cylinders with their covers and the shuttle used as the carrier to drag the fully loaded 87,000 lb. aircraft 300 feet in a couple seconds.

Reactions: Boyd