Remote, Old Hidden Hunting Cabin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Last night I was using Mobile Atlas Creator which is the program Boyd told us about, and I was looking over property corners using Boyd's "Parcels in the Pines" feature for said program. While doing so I noticed this odd image in the middle of a cedar swamp and just had to check it out today.

ruins.jpg

Getting close to this location was fairly easy but the last 200 feet was intense. It is hard to believe but I was as close as 50 feet from it and could not even see it. It turns out whoever built this placed it in a perfect spot on a small upland area in the middle of a cedar swamp. It is the most well hidden building I have ever come across. We had to craw on our hands and knees to go the final 50 feet as you will see in the video below.

IMG_1151a.jpg

IMG_1158a.jpg

IMG_1538a.jpg

Follow along as we push the final 50 feet on our hands and knees and explore the ruins for the first time. Ignore my stupid ramblings. I get excited when I find these things. Enjoy!

Make sure it is running in 1080P

Guy

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here it is in 1986. It does not appear to show up in 1972 but there is evidence that this location has been used since 1931 and before.

1986.jpg

Reactions: manumuskin

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Interesting find. It's either on private property or the State doesn't know about it. If they did it would have long ago been burned to the ground.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, it turns out at least one employee of the county knows about it. They found it 20 years ago. Read below.

I questioned Cliff Oakley about it. It was some time ago, but I seem to recall Cliff telling me it was built by a member of the Eayre family. The best-known member of that family was Gladys Eayre, one of the founding members of the Pineconers music group, and the first president of the Pinelands Cultural Society. I do not know if she had any direct connection to the cabin however. That limited information is all I have on it. Due to the relatively modern materials used in its construction, I did not consider it historically significant and never pursued it beyond what Cliff told me.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Interesting find. It's either on private property or the State doesn't know about it. If they did it would have long ago been burned to the ground.

It is so remote and hidden now nobody will stumble on it. I only saw it on aerials or I would have never found it. You can't see it from more than 50 feet away and in places less than that.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Awesome find! I was half expecting the video to be one of those "scare" video where something jumps out and the camera falls to the ground and keeps running. :eek::eek: