Retreat

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Anyone know the source/s of the name of this settlement in Southampton Twp at Retreat and Big Hill Roads? Learned from report here of a PBX that it long ago had a cotton mill, now bordered by Leisuretown. We found a big, abandoned concrete dam and spillway in woods nearby.

Reactions: bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Anyone know the source/s of the name of this settlement in Southampton Twp at Retreat and Big Hill Roads? Learned from report here of a PBX that it long ago had a cotton mill, now bordered by Leisuretown. We found a big, abandoned concrete dam and spillway in woods nearby.

Johnny, did you read the entire trip link? Jerseyman contributed a serious amount of information for that area.

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/retreat-preserve-a-pbx-special-hike.8899/#post-107085

Reactions: RednekF350

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What an awesome hike that was. I can't believe it was 5 years ago.
So Bob, have you put a deposit down on a house in Seizuretown yet ?

I laugh every time I see that word Scott :).

You know, I'd rather be spending my "seizure" days in "leisure" rather than home and yard maintenance. Ask Johnny, who started this post...he lives in the Seizuretown we are speaking of.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have a friend who bought a home in one of the big senior developments in Atlantic County, he calls it "God's waiting room". :D

I bought my house out in the pines at the same time and ten years later, we're both still very happy with our choices. I will say though, his property value has gone up over the years and when I looked on zillow recently, I was shocked by how much mine has dropped.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I was shocked by how much mine has dropped.

A good thing; if you haven't yet, check with your tax assessor to have your assessment lowered ;)

Every time I visit someone in a retirement community I wonder how they do it.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I laugh every time I see that word Scott :).

You know, I'd rather be spending my "seizure" days in "leisure" rather than home and yard maintenance.

I've made a conscious decision to not get old Bob.
I want to live in a neighborhood where, if only by happenstance, I may catch a glimpse of a neighbor lady washing her car in a bikini as opposed to a frumpy old lady bent over in drooping Depends tending to her marigolds. :D

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Bob, I remembered the original PBX report post, mentioned the long-gone cotton mill but sadly I'd forgotten Jerseyman's wonderful account.
We came here from 8 acres w/ 3/4 acre pond holding 7.5 lb bigmouth "Bugga" and abt 4,000 square foot wood stove heated log home we built bordering old woods part of county property in Springfield Twp only because of a family issue and not wanting to try to keep the place going at 85 years. Miss it VERY much, but not the work.
Bob, thanks again.

Reactions: RednekF350 and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
A good thing; if you haven't yet, check with your tax assessor to have your assessment lowered ;)

They re-assessed everyone a little over a year ago and my taxes did go down. I think pretty much everyone's property values have decreased here in Atlantic County. But it seems to have bottomed out, zillow showed my value increasing this year.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
We came here from 8 acres w/ 3/4 acre pond holding 7.5 lb bigmouth "Bugga" and abt 4,000 square foot wood stove heated log home we built bordering old woods part of county property in Springfield Twp only because of a family issue and not wanting to try to keep the place going at 85 years. Miss it VERY much, but not the work.
I can appreciate how you would miss that piece of heaven Johnnyb.
Please take no offense to what I have been saying to Bob about his retirement living plans. :)

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
RedneckF350 - hey, no offense taken, rather enjoyed reading viewpoints. You oughta hear what I say , when following some denizen down Retreat Rd obviously on way there. Not fit for public consumption.....

Reactions: RednekF350