Riding in the pines

davensj

Explorer
Apr 8, 2004
The Real South Jersey
Does anybody do cycle riding in the pines? Not motocross type ridging but legal cycles. I’m getting a Kawasaki Dual Purpose KLR650 in a couple months and want to take a day and ride in the pines.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
it doesn't matter if you're on a KLR, DRZ, KTM, XT, or a RM, YZ, tagged, registered, insured whatever.. you're still looked at as scum by the enviro's.. they won't admit it, but they want anyone who's not on foot out of the pines..

and who the heck rides motocross in the pine barrens ????? :ninja: that's track style riding. now enduros are another thing - they're legal and endorsed and sponsored by the state..

and yes i ride.. and no i'm not mad at you.. :D

better give yourself more than "a day".. even if that's all you start w/, you'll be back many many times..

my best advice would be to join a riding club - its time to get organized to preserve our rights.. PM me if you want more info.. cheers.. :guinness:

Nov 12, 2007
atlantic county
motocross is not just track riding

it doesn't matter if you're on a KLR, DRZ, KTM, XT, or a RM, YZ, tagged, registered, insured whatever.. you're still looked at as scum by the enviro's.. they won't admit it, but they want anyone who's not on foot out of the pines..

and who the heck rides motocross in the pine barrens ????? :ninja: that's track style riding. now enduros are another thing - they're legal and endorsed and sponsored by the state..

and yes i ride.. and no i'm not mad at you.. :D

better give yourself more than "a day".. even if that's all you start w/, you'll be back many many times..

my best advice would be to join a riding club - its time to get organized to preserve our rights.. PM me if you want more info.. cheers.. :guinness:

i know a few kids that jump there dirtbikes all over the pines it unfortunetly is perfect for dirtbikes in a lot of areas its the sandy hills that attract them

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Dave, there is a hot debate concerning this here in the forum http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=4689

If you have five or six hours to spare you can probably read all the posts:)

Like Bobnj1979, I am a rider also. Like he says you'll find yourself coming back to do some more riding. One day is not enough. Probably more like 30 to 40 years! Let either Bob or myself know where you are coming from and I am sure we can get you started in the right direction.

Jeff

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I dont mind motorbikes as long as they stay on the trails. As far as enviros go, they should know motorbikes are lightweight and fuel efficient, much smaller engine.
On Long Island there is no legal place to ride, but that doesn't stop people from riding, they just have to try not to get caught.:dance:

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
jeff, did you ever make it to a SJER meeting at the PIC ? there's one tonight, in fact, however i will not be in attendance.. next month though ..

davensj

Explorer
Apr 8, 2004
The Real South Jersey
My god. If Motocross was the wrong term, sorry about that. All I was asking for was someone to ride with me and show me around. I don’t care who don’t like cycles, if it’s a public/state or county road and whether it’s a car, truck or cycle and you have Licenses, registration and insurance. Nobody can stop you from riding on that road. I know it’s not something that’s going to be done in a day, (a day) Figure of speech/another wrong term, sorry again. I live an hour plus (one way) away from the pines(Atsion) so it’s not something I can just go out my back door and do everyday. I had my first cycle when I was 9, so riding is not something new to me, just the pines will be new, but I’m a big boy, I got a gps and list of coordinates for places in the pines. It’s not a problem I can do it on my own. Thank you. Have a Nice Day :)

(Disclaimer: Author of this post is not responsible for any typos, wrong terms or figure of speech)

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
(Disclaimer: Author of this post is not responsible for any typos, wrong terms or figure of speech)

Davensj
The first response was a little harsh.
You are doing everything right by planning on cruising the pines legally with a tagged dual sport.
I started in the pines on legal bikes, (DT-400's) in the late 70's.
I would ride to Jackson Road from Gibbsboro and start my woods rides at the beginning of Old Atsion Road off of Columbia Ave in Atco.
From there I would rode to the Goshen Campsites and take Atsion Road to 206.
There was a Sunoco gas station and lucheonette at Dutchtown back then and I would fuel up and duck back in at Quaker Bridge Road. From there, the options were endless.
After that I started riding the pines on a CR-480 (motocrioss bike) and always had to keep one eye out for the man.
The legal way is more relaxing.
Good luck and enjoy the woods.
Scott

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
After that I started riding the pines on a CR-480 (motocrioss bike) and always had to keep one eye out for the man.
The legal way is more relaxing.
Good luck and enjoy the woods.
Scott

Sorry if i was harsh - i wasn't hugged very much as a child. :jeffd: .. j/k.

scott - you couldn't get a tag for that bike ? ya just have to be creative.. now, it would probably be near impossible, but before maybe it could have been done ?

i rode a drz in the woods for 2 yrs.. compared to my KTM, the energy expended on the drz was not relaxing..

i'll ride w/ anyone, anywhere in the pines.. so long as you're "legal".. ya like whoops ?