Ridley Field?

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Does anyone have any details regarding Ridley Field, in the Forked River Mountain tract? I have heard about it from a few sources in the past and have always neglected learning more about a site located so close to me. I recently came across an account written by Elizabeth Morgan, as told to her by noted woodsman Cliff Frazee. It describes a group of from thirty to forty freed blacks who made their way to the area after the Civil War. They stayed in Brookville (then Millville) for a short time, assisted by local whites, before settling in what was known as Ridley Field, before eventually having the entire hamlet die off. The location was hand-marked on a photocopy of a portion of the Brookville Quadrangle map, less than one mile north of Wells Mills Rd., from a point half way between the landfill and Jones Rd. Unless someone has already done so, it could be a spot ripe for an exploration.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have a map Elizabeth marked up German. It says "Black Hamlet" at a high spot just north of Long Branch.

Lets do it later this month.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I think I have that same map. Mine is marked on an origional quad. (well, not really mine, but an office copy) Did you get that from Mickey? I'm certainly up for checking it out.