river walks

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
IMG_5721.jpg

IMG_5787.jpg

Al, Marvin and I spent the cold and dreary day wandering portions of the Wading River, plus Shane and Skit branches. Al spent most of his effort seeking high ground solitude locations and markers, Marvin for anarchistic weaponry, and I wanted pretty things to photograph. This would be the final Tuesday trip for at least a few weeks, so we made the most of the subpar conditions.

Wading River and environs ...

IMG_5757.jpg

IMG_5753.jpg

IMG_5771.jpg

We would repeatedly leave and revisit the rivers.

IMG_5763.jpg

IMG_5724.jpg

Marvin was in a sour mood most of the day, and would soon be excused (see below). However, he, at this point, reluctantly posed.

IMG_5741.jpg

IMG_5742.jpg

IMG_5719.jpg

IMG_5773.jpg

IMG_5759.jpg

IMG_5735.jpg

IMG_5740.jpg

After wandering the Wading, we decided to take the spaceship (Marvin drove) to Skit Branch, but opted to first stopover and refuel in Friendship.

IMG_5774.jpg

Marv inspects his damage.

IMG_5775.jpg

IMG_5776.jpg

Alfie wanders and wonders about my choice of friends.

IMG_5780.jpg

IMG_5778.jpg

IMG_5777.jpg

IMG_5782.jpg

After shooting this photograph, I pushed Marvin off the bridge and into Shane Branch. Al and I then walked to Skit Branch.

IMG_5833.jpg

Light was seriously waning by this time of the day, and, as if the dreariness of the day wasn't challenge enough, shooting became even more difficult.

IMG_5797.jpg

IMG_5836.jpg

Al takes the "Can I eat a raw cranberry and keep a straight face" test. You be the judge...
IMG_5857.jpg

IMG_5854.jpg

Beaver dam...
IMG_5829.jpg

IMG_5827.jpg

One last look...
IMG_5828.jpg

IMG_5817.jpg

IMG_5795.jpg

Go time.
IMG_5860.jpg

IMG_5862.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Bill

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I pleeaded with whip not to push marv over.i know the little b@st%rd had enough explosives left to take out every bridge on the tulp and wading.I figure around midnight hawkins will go up.by 3am Godfreys,by 5 am evans,around 8 am wading river,I just hope by the time he gets to the parkway he's too tired to climb the supports or has run out of that left over Acme crap Wile E. gave him last summer.stay away from the wading tonight people.Marv was pissed as he floated past on his way to his rendezvous with the main branch of the Tulpe.I was kinda starting to like him too but whip can be a maniac once you rub him wrong.\
Alfie

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I wisht (Al's language) I had Tuesdays off so's I could join you boys. Marvin is a cool dude. Is he the one eating the cranberry?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I wisht (Al's language) I had Tuesdays off so's I could join you boys. Marvin is a cool dude. Is he the one eating the cranberry?

I wisht you could come too,we're not fixin on doin another tuesday till feburary now but oncet Bill gits a free tuesday agin I'm sure we'll be back at it.We were jawin about how we useta float the tulpe every summer,basically wadin down the crik or slinkin up the banks.We ain't done this in quite awhile but maybe this summer we's gonna do anuther tulpe float.We found Schizea Pusilla there before as well as some nice white clay banks and some Hyla Andersonii.Eye knows youse done a pbx hike up it a few years ago.it's r favorite place in the barrens.
PS
Didn't know hillbillies could speak latin didya?
Alfie

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Great photo's Bill! An excellent adventure for sure.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
we useta float the tulpe every summer,basically wadin down the crik or slinkin up the banks.

Bark your shins up much on submerged logs? I have a vision of spearing the family jewels on a beaver-cut branch :argh:

But, I always wanted to do the Oswego from Pump-house on down to the forge. Nobody would do it with me though. Perhaps I'll wear double underwear.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
So when your talking of floating, are you referring to an inner tube type deal? Or are you swim/floating down the river and wading where needed. I would like to do a very remote area of the batsto near my house but there are too many blowdowns (and not enough water) for a kayak. And the banks are so filled with catbrier that progress would be painstakingly slow.

I've thought of just wading down it.

Jeff

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
So when your talking of floating, are you referring to an inner tube type deal? Or are you swim/floating down the river and wading where needed. I would like to do a very remote area of the batsto near my house but there are too many blowdowns (and not enough water) for a kayak. And the banks are so filled with catbrier that progress would be painstakingly slow.

I've thought of just wading down it.

Jeff

mostly wading where possible (tulpe is awful soft) and floating and pulling ourselves along with arms while we float.yes the underwater limbs can be a problem but in the medders this usually isn't a problem.blowdowns are more of a problem in the wooded swamp sections.There is very little briar along the tulpe.mostly cedar swamp and medder.There is only one spot I'm aware of over our heads.There is a spot near the top of the lower medders about 7 ft deep.i sounded it.Bill had to avoid that spot and go up on the bank because he's a non swimmer but only half a dozen strokes will pull you through it.The tulp has the softest water I've ever waded.i think it's the massive amounts of tannins and decaying vegetation in it.It feels silky on a hot summer day.Ww shared the creek with a baby beaver who was swimming up the creek one day.he was about 8 inches long.shouldn't have been out on his own.
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thanks Bob, Jim and Guy. I don't have to tell people here how beautiful it is out there, but it gets me every time. Al and I really have a blast; maybe we'll give Marvin another shot, maybe not. :) We'll go fish him out. I'm taking as many Tuesdays as I can, as Al is in a situation now where he can get some weekdays off. Sometimes it's very hard for us to get together. Hard to believe, but we make a perfect barrens team.

Spending more time with the photos ... playing ... this is actually four, stitched.

Untitled-Stitched-11-1.jpg

Whip

whip,
that is awesome! I remember both shots.you took two skit branch beaver dams and stuck it in the middle of the wading river at the tree i wouldn't cross on because i was chicken.
If you can do this you can make me look skinny again in all your shots....do it!
Alfie

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Thanks, Pancoast!

when did you take these?

Hmmm ... maybe when I went to fish Marvin out of Shane Branch on Saturday? My conscience got the best of me. Marv was encased in a huge block of ice when I pulled him out. Good thing he's a cartoon character; they tend to survive ice blocks (and other calamities) much better than us people do.

Whip